OT: D-Day flypast

Well that made a good noise ;-)

Just had this lot:

fly over my house at about 400ft... plus an assortment of single seater fighters as well - saw two Spitfires, a Hurricane, and a couple of US planes - not sure if they were F4F Wildcats or P51s - but square wing tips.

Reply to
John Rumm

I know exactly where my Grandad was 75 years ago to the day.

In Southampton waiting to get onto a ship.

Reply to
ARW

Be funny if it wasn't so tragic. A gathering of the 'great and good' spouting bullshit - many of them having played their part in destroying everything that those people fought and died for.

If those who so willingly fought could see what has happened since they almost certainly wouldn't have bothered.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

"willingly fought" or "conscription"?

Reply to
ARW

My dad was in Italy getting shelled IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

I expect having the choice of take the fight to the enemy elsewhere, or have it come home to you and your family, would probably tilt many to the former even if conscripted.

Reply to
John Rumm

By that time a mixture of both, one of my Grandads was already in the Army when war was declared and was soon fighting the Germans in Norway, then some time in Africa ,by the time of D Day he was fighting up through Italy. He reckoned he was quite lucky to get through it all. The other older Grandad wasn?t fit for any service due to injuries sustained in the previous round.

Both are gone now but we knew an old boy who had been a Conscientious Objector in WW2, there would certainly be people who would never have forgiven him for that, however his best Pal right up the day he died was one of D Company who took Pegasus Bridge .

GH

Reply to
Marland

A couple of days ago we had our own flypast whilst out walking the dogs. A flock DC-3(A's?)', a gaggle of Chinooks flanked by other choppers and various light aircraft with them, or just out enjoying the company. ;-)

It reminded the Mrs (and me to a lesser degree as I'm her toy boy) of times snoozing out in the fields as kids and hearing piston engined planes flying overhead ...

Real planes with a less than vertical glide slope. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Mine was in Tanzania guarding Italian POWs (Royal Engineers).

The only time he fired a rifle was when a rogue elephant was terrifying the villagers, so he had to shoot it, and hated doing so. The villagers then swarmed over the carcase with their bush knifes and reduced it to manageable 'joints'.

Reply to
Andrew

No doubt a bit of both. My father joined the army in 1933 and served through every minute of WWII, so he certainly wasn't conscripted. He was in the North African/Italy campaign, though, so not involved in D Day.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Yes they could not get out of Ducksford until later than planned due to weather. The top of Beachy Head was full of people apparently. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You cannot really say that since you do not know what would have happened instead. That is a daft argument to use.

One sad thing about all wars is that technology gets a huge boost out of them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Really? We lost WWII, and we have been losing ever since. I can say that with absolute certainty.

That's alright then.

Most wars in the history of the world have been totally unnecessary, but few more so than WWI and WWII - which were really one war in two parts.

'War is a Racket'.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

So /that's/ what they were. I'm just down the road from Duxford and they flew over on Monday - was initially puzzled as it wasn't the weekend when airshows normally happen.

I thought 'hangonaminnit, are those Dakotas?' - at least one was in USAF livery, but I didn't recognise the rest. Another was in Swissair, and one looked like El Al but turns out to be Pan Am.

On Saturday there was a formation of 6 or 8 single-engine fighters, but I didn't recognise them. Would have been a nice photo as there was a jetliner above and a kestrel circling below, looking quite similar in outline...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The Krauts are trying to do by subterfuge what they failed to do by force on two previous occasions.

Did you see Merkel lurking in the background?

Reply to
harry

Their politicians possibly, but I'm not anti-German, Harry. I've been to Germany many times, even worked over there, and I find Germans to be very decent generally. The German people were duped like all the others. Besides, their treatment after WWI - ToV, etc, by the Allies played a significant part in what came after.

She is a traitor. A traitor to Germany and a traitor to Europe. But, like most of the others, she is only a puppet.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Yup the lighting here was very grey and overcast, so it was difficult to see much in the way of livery detail. The USAF ones were fairly obvious though.

By the time they got here it was mostly a long procession of single file aircraft that lasted several minutes. Mostly single file, but the occasional cluster or small formation.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null posted

Enjoy it. You and I are paying for it all whether we like it or not.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

I did as it happens.

I have no objection.