Well Pump - Hissing Noise

First, I have a well my stepdad installed years ago. It has a fairly new bl adder tank. We use the well for watering our plants and lawn, not for house use.

This year I noticed a hissing noise which sounds like to me it is coming fr om inside the well (Bored Well). If I leave the well pump turn on eventuall y the pump will loose prime. He installed a shut off valve from the pump to the pipe leading into the well. If I turn the power off to the well and cl ose that valve that leads into the well the hissing stops. If I need water I just turn the valve back on, and power up the pump and I get plenty of wa ter. My question is how do I stop the hissing? Also I have not noticed any water leaks anywhere on the surface.

Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
fireman505

It sounds like the foot valve is bad. Try putting a check valve in the supply pipe to the pump.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 10:44:53 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrot e:

bladder tank. We use the well for watering our plants and lawn, not for ho use use.

from inside the well (Bored Well). If I leave the well pump turn on eventu ally the pump will loose prime. He installed a shut off valve from the pump to the pipe leading into the well. If I turn the power off to the well and close that valve that leads into the well the hissing stops. If I need wat er I just turn the valve back on, and power up the pump and I get plenty of water. My question is how do I stop the hissing? Also I have not noticed a ny water leaks anywhere on the surface.

Except he said that if he leaves the pump *on* it eventually loses prime. Maybe that's a mistake and he meant off?

Or a leak in the pipe inside the well. Old systems that didn't have a blad der type tank had a small hole with a one way valve so that it would suck some air when running to replenish the tank air. Any chance it has one of those? In any case, if it loses prime when off, then the well pipe needs to be pulled, inspected and probably the foot valve replaced.

Reply to
trader_4

ote:

ew bladder tank. We use the well for watering our plants and lawn, not for house use.

ng from inside the well (Bored Well). If I leave the well pump turn on even tually the pump will loose prime. He installed a shut off valve from the pu mp to the pipe leading into the well. If I turn the power off to the well a nd close that valve that leads into the well the hissing stops. If I need w ater I just turn the valve back on, and power up the pump and I get plenty of water. My question is how do I stop the hissing? Also I have not noticed any water leaks anywhere on the surface.

hmmm

I thought the combination of the one way valve (check valve) and small hole was for another reason...

the check valve is to prevent water flowing backwards back into the well wh en the pump is off...

and the small hole is to prevent the pump from getting "air locked" by the check valve ....because if the pump gets air locked, the pump will always b e able to pump at least a small amount of water through the hole and gradua lly displace all the air.

no?

makolber