Microbore

Wanting to fit a designer radiator AND a heated towel rail in a bathroom that currently has a 600 x 600 radiator. The house is piped in microbore. Any traps and tricks for teeing an additional radiator? I guess balancing will be critical - but why any worse than with the existing system?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There is a maximum heat load you can put on a pipe which is dependent on its diameter

You have not said what diameter the microbore is but putting two rads in parallel on microbore might be too much.

M Normally with microbore pipes, they feed back to a manifold whereupon it is connected to 22mm pipes. So you do not generally see tees on microbore piping

Reply to
stephenten

it's not 2 rads, one is a towel rail which consumes very little. Not a problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If the towel rail is anything like mine (I have 5) you will find that you will have to have the lockshield valve almost fully closed (mine ended up at quarter turn as it's essentially a load of 15mm pipes in parallel on a 22mm double manifold. normal rads have much thinner channels and higher resistance to the flow of water and on mine the lockshield us at anywhere between 3/4 to 1 1/2 turn depending on distance from boiler and size of radiator.

Your biggest problem is going to be finding microbore equal tees. I've never seen any. You might have to get creative and use a reducer the wrong way into a 15mm equal tee and then use two more reducers to the rads.

This will involve a blowtorch as they all tend to be solder fittings rather than compression fittings.

Reply to
stephenten

There is an easier alternative: since the towel rail dissipates far less heat than the rad & offers minimal resistance to flow, plumb the 2 in series.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They're widely available. For instance:

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

8mm. The manifold has every outlet occupied and is not easy to access.
Reply to
DerbyBorn

That would mean: rail will be off in summer when generally not needed rail doesn't run at max primary temp, which is generally good no added controls needed for the rail

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ah, 8mm, I had assumed 10mm. But my previous post still stands, as Screwfix have those as well:

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It might be plastic pipe - he didn't say it was copper!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Unless you *want* the rail on in summer - in which case it could be connected to the HW rather than CH circuit, assuming it's a stored hot water system heated by the boiler.

Reply to
Roger Mills

hey all tend to be solder fittings

It is copper!