OT: cost of reneables part II

I know. We made one of the first proper disk drive interfaces for it.

When it was done that was entirely rational. Memory was still very expensive and the machine was fast enough against the competition. What it lacked was reliability in its mass storage system. Losing computer data irretrievably is not something that any business user can tolerate.

Amstrad PCW had him for lunch by launching something that came with business friendly software and a cheap and nasty but much more reliable real floppy disk. The rest is history. Alan Sugar beat him hands down.

ISTR Sinclair sold them his computer division now long after that.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's the old business of getting there fastest with the mostest. Never mind the quality, feel the width.

Reply to
Tim Streater
<snip>

SWMBO had one of those, it was actually very reliable. Non-standard size disks, a green screen and IIRC a single pin dot matrix printer, but very capable. Lots of brownie points for presentation of her work at the time.

£399 I think, with a bit of a wait to get one.
Reply to
Clive Arthur

But he got a knighthood, even though he went bust twice.

Reply to
charles

So did Jimmy Savile . And Robert Mugabe. And Sir Philip Green.I rest my case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But even he admitted that he had no idea what 'applications software' was all about, or how valuable the operating system was for 'upgrades' so simply relied shifting boxes with MsDos or DrDos, or whatever they came with and then the Chinese and Taiwanese blew him away with cheaper boxes.

Reply to
Andrew

I thought the piss created a form of battery and provided the leccy

Reply to
Andrew