The case of the disappearing lamp posts - Part II

As promised here is the response to my letter to the council asking if I could buy the lamppost (being replaced) from outside my house.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear ???

XXX Council maintains the footways and carriageways on behalf of the Highway Authority (XXX County Council). I am therefore constrained to apply the latter organisations deternmined policies and standards and work within its budgetary allocations.

Unfortunately you will be unable to purchase an old lamp post column. The columns are stored for re-use in Conservation areas around the XXX Area.

The absurdity of this response is truly staggering. For one thing they are removing a lamppost from its **original setting** and putting it in a "Conservation" area! I wish there was some way these jobsworths could be removed from office - not this guy personally - but the whole rotten edifice.

Reply to
dave

Could it not be the case that your area is a lost cause, conservation area wise, and whatever decent street furniture happens to be left is better used elsewhere?

I'm not sure at all about the reply though. They're saying this is a Highways Authority direction? To move posts from one area, replace them, and store for posterity. Doubt that.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Also - if they sold it to you then they would have a legal obligation as a supplier to ensure it was safe and met all sorts of standards. Therefore they won't sell stuff.

Reply to
John

Maybe so but that's bluster. Under that reasoning ebay would be dead long since. Anyway - soddit.

Reply to
dave

I would be inclined to be bloody awkward, and ask them for chapter and verse on the 'determined policies' that resulted in their decision.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think the trick there is to sell it as "lamp post-sized piece of scrap metal", and if the new owner just happens to try and treat it as a functional lamp post then they're not liable for any mishap.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

"Bob Eager" wrote

The problem with making such a big deal of this is.... Guess whose house they'll visit first when one of said lamp-posts mysteriously vanishes under cover of darkness?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster