Lubricating UPVC hinges

I have a UPVC door with hinges made of plastic presumably UPVC with a metal pin. The door has developed a distinct creak when opened. Can anyone suggest a suitable lubricant for these types of hinges?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Something PTFE based?

Adrian Caspersz

Silicone grease. Probably from a spray can. works really well on plastic to metal bearings, and doesn't seem to degraded into nasty muck.

take your pick.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 for silicone, by far and away the best thing for lubricating plastic.

Actually I find the silicone oil aerosol sprays find their way into the actual bearing surface, and stay there by surface tension for a reasonable length of time. Grease still leaves deposits on exposed surfaces that attract dirt without doing anything useful, unless you wipe them off after spraying.

Reply to
newshound

WD40 dry PTFE spray £9 Amazon

Reply to
Jon

I'd start with any silicone spray to hand. I've been using the silicone spray I bought for guttering, push-fit pipes etc. May not last as long as grease but it keeps curtains, drawers etc quiet and smooth

Reply to
Robin

Silicone is a right bugger to get rid of, so I reckon silicone spray will persist longer than any grease-based spray. It's what I've started using.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I went with silicone spray (sorry Ian) and it was an instant result. Thanks to all who replayed

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky