OT - Computer

None at all. I am just being cynical.

But they 'force' you to 'upgrade' somehow.

Reply to
Mark

In message , Mark writes

I'm still using MS office 95.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I run a fully legit copy of Office 2000.

I have office 2007 at work, and prefer the older one.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Then you won't be able to open "docx" files with that.

Reply to
Mark

I have '97 at home and have to use 2010 at work. I do prefer the older one but, as I stated in another post, I can't open "docx" files with my version MS Office.

Reply to
Mark

I still see no sign of you being forced to upgrade! ;-)

Reply to
JW

Not even a whiff of being 'forced' to upgrade. ;-)

Reply to
JW

What if you want to open the docx file? They are trying to 'force' you to 'upgrade'. My upgrade is to install and use OO instead.

At work we have to use 2010 as the sharepoint integration doesn't work in earlier versions.

Reply to
Mark

In message , Mark writes

Oops! MS office 97

No?

I have been pleasantly surprised to find no trouble opening word attachments to legal communications.

I have been avoiding Mozilla open office for some time through careful reading of their *upgrade* offers.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You ask the author/sender to save it as DOC format? I don't really think you can blame MS for this. They have added the ability to use DOCX back as far as 2003 I think. Not sure if it goes further. But you cannot expect them to update every piece of software they have ever written.

We have 2007 at work. Maybe that's why Sharepoint has always seemed so s**te! :)

Reply to
JW

It's still s**te in 2010 - it just steams a little less.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

open office is not Mozilla

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can believe that.

Reply to
JW

And the only upgrade offers from Open Office I've seen are saying either "Download the new, improved version for free" or "If you want professional support, please pay these guys a fee."

If you want community support, just register and use the forum for free.

Reply to
John Williamson

No. You can't open docx files with Office '97. With later versions (2003?) you could download a converter, but this is not available for '97.

Are they docx?

As others have pointed out it is not Mozilla. And what is wrong with a free upgrade?

Reply to
Mark

A lot of people do not have the technical knowledge to do this, believe it or not. As if often the case one receives important documents shortly before a meeting and there is not time for the document to be resent.

I've had important documents sent in all sort of weird formats. The only one I can't open is Microsoft Works but others have trouble with all but the old fashioned "doc" format.

I can blame MS for changing the format they use for document storage.

They didn't have to change the format. It is a problem of their own making.

Sharepoint is s**te anyway.

Reply to
Mark

Sometimes the case - but bad practice anyway. Documents should be sent out long in advance. And if it's for business use, you can reasonably expect all corporate PCs to be able to read DOCX. If they cannot, then there is a business justification to upgrade. If the problem is that you cannot open business documents on your home PC, then the simple fact is that your home setup is not suitable for home working. However, with OO, you have a solution. So not really sure what the problem is.

They have only changed the installed default save option. I've never done it, but I checked in Options - Save, and there is a simple dropdown box to change the default back to 97-2003 format. If it is that big an issue, setting up a standard paragraph to help people "Save As" will surely be appreciated.

And the broadcasting people don't have to switch off the analogue TV signals...but they will...

Agreed.

I quite like DOCX. It was by accident (actually, because Clarity screwed up at work) that I realised that DOCX is just an archive format. Rename it to .ZIP, and you can simply retrieve all embedded images etc.

Reply to
JW

Send people an email with an .rtf file in it and half will swear they can't open it in Word "Because it's not there". Show them how to use the drop-down to see other formats and they look appalled that they might have to actually /do/ something.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Send them an .RTFM file, and see what they make of it! :)

Reply to
JW

I agree. But it happens frequently.

Just by changing the document they are creating an artificial "justification" for upgrade.

I have to deal with a lot of people who are not technical. They send out documents in whatever format they feel like and are only capable of double clicking on an icon, so "cannot" read some documents. As they are all volunteers I can't moan about it too much but it's a pain when several people turn up at a meeting, not having read some of the documentation.

If they can't load a docx file some of them think they *have* to buy the latest version of office. Telling them about OO usually leads to a blank look at best.

I haven't got time to hand-hold everyone who may possibly send a document in the "wrong" format. I have tried this kind of thing before -- everyone just ignores instructions they don't understand.

And therefore force people to "upgrade".

Reply to
Mark