OT - Computer

Any free print to pdf copes with that, and supports all your other apps too. PDF995 has worked flawlessly for me.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I have no real issues and have been using Office or Word since Win3.1. It's a bit of a shock at first but no real problems.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I use OO at home and regularly send papers to the school which uses Office 2003 (or 2007 since last week - haven't tried this trick yet) and I've not had any noticable problems.

One obvious trick is for simpler stuff at least, to use .rtf format.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I'll just throw in my opinion. I use Open Office all the time (as I use a Linux system I don't have the choice of using MS Office!). It works fine, I've not found anything I can't do. The main limitation is that very complex documents in Microsoft formats can get their formatting mangled - but this can happen between different versions of Microsoft Office too. There's no equivalent to Outlook, if you want calendaring/mail you could try Evolution - it's supposed to integrate with Exchange but I've never tried to do that.

I would suggest you try it - it won't cost you anything more than a bit of time if you don't like it.

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

From the OP

Went to possibly buy a laptop today ( However, I like to compare what I am being sold with the Manufacturer's site to ensure the model is current before spending)

Some good ones - 4Gb Ram 500Gb HDD, etc. However, many are end of line models.

I decided I want (not necessarily need):

4Gb RAM HDMI Socket (Who knows, at some time I may wish to connect it to a new TV) Separate Number Pad LED Back Lighting

Currys had the best display - but a lot of end of range.

Most I noted down as of interest don't seem to be on the makers web sites. - Off for a pint!

Reply to
John

I think you need to check on that.

Reply to
dennis

Don't forget that the latest and greatest will be end of range by Spring.

I'd not worry about it too much, the one I'm using now was end of range four years ago, and it still copes very well, after a new battery a couple of years ago, which is now coming to the end of its life, and a couple of HDD upgrades. Dying batteries are the main reason for laptops coming to the end of their useful life. Pick a make like Lenovo, Toshiba or HP for long term parts support.

Reply to
John Williamson

Not the case for most of the deals - it is true for software licensed under MSDNAA though (IIRC).

"You receive Full Professional version software at an academic price for lifetime use at home only"

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Yup, they did a similar change to the terms on the Action Pack as well to make it more "rental" like, which is a shame.

> "You receive Full Professional version software at an academic price for

That's an improvement then... (probably a realisation that once installed its unlikely to ever get taken off).

Reply to
John Rumm

Lifetime of what? You or the computer?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Sounds like me and my stash of IBN Model M keyboards!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The big retailers like Dixons Retail (Dixons, Currys, PCWorld, etc) have the buying power to get makers to build to their own exclusive specification. You won't find the same model in other retailers or direct from the maker. Side steps any problems with "price promises", you simply can't get the same model from anywhere else...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Two reasons for that. First, as you pointed out they may be end-of-line. The other, and very important for retailers, is that "special" models mean that you can't compare like with like, particulaly when it comes to Best Price bragging by vendors - if you can't find exactly that model elsewhere then price matching is an empty brag.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Aaargh, the rays!

Reply to
Skipweasel

Do be aware of two things:

If you want to put Linux on it, some of the latest hardware wont have drivers yet, and intel onboard graphics chips suck in linux AND windows as well.

Try ad get Nvidia equipped graphics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How odd, just tried ours more or less instantaneous!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Until the next version of Microshaft Office.

Reply to
Mark

Do you say that with any authority?

Previous version licenses have never been invalidated, AFAIK, by a new version being released.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

But think how many businesses you have saved from the Office 2007 migration nightmare! I have to admit that, although I love new software etc, Office

2007 was (and even now, with 2010, still can be) perplexing at times. But on the whole, I do like the ribbon interface.

It's quite amazing how, even now, the older Office 97/2000/XP/2003 is still ingrained in one's mindset. Like when we were discussing CPU-ID on here a few days ago, and someone mentioned the Help - About method of getting PC details. My instant thought was 'yes, of course', but when I went into Office 2010, it's not there. And if it is, I can't find it!!

Reply to
JW

I believe you are correct. FWIU, it is only piracy, and license number abuse that will cause a license to be blocked or blacklisted in some way.

Reply to
JW