OT: cheapest way to get 17yo on the road

In article , David WE Roberts scribeth thus

Indeed thats why I like olde worlde Volvos but to say that a moggy, well one that hasn't rusted away, has less metal than some on the roads now?..

Yes thats not bad advice either..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes but how many Great Heck incidents are there compared with the average day in the UK?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Invisible Man

Although, there is something to be said for learning in a "death trap". It teaches cautious defensive driving from an early age.

Wrap 'em up in a indestructable tank and they *will* take more risks. I know I did. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I started in a cut down, yes it was just a chassis!, Austin 7 around the school playing field and occasionally it did get pranged.

But then again we bent it .. and mended it;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Mine's £250. Who are you with?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

"David WE Roberts" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You must shit bricks at the thought of riding a bicycle, motorcycle, or even... walking...

Reply to
Adrian

"David WE Roberts" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, and fwiw - two friends of ours were killed in separate car crashes within a few months of each other a couple of years ago.

One was in an early '70s small Citroen. He fell asleep, and swerved into an articulated wagon head-on at a closing speed of probably 100mph. I don't think the choice of car contributed much to the result.

The other was in a brand spankin' 5* EuroNCAP Skoda Octavia. He was hit from behind, relatively gently, in motorway traffic. Unfortunately, the boot was full, so he'd put a box of books on the rear parcel shelf. It flew forward, and took the back of his head out. I don't think the choice of car contributed much to the result there, either.

There is FAR too much emphasis put on secondary safety by those trying to sell new cars. They conveniently forget to mention the huge increases in car weight that result from trying to frig the NCAP results - and that momentum and therefore impact energy is heavily related to mass. They also conveniently forget to mention the appalling visibility that results.

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian scribeth thus

And of course the "loosest nut in the car is the one behind the wheel"

Reply to
tony sayer

early memories of driving my first vehicle, a Bedford van, loaded with scaffolding for a disco lighting system..an idiot in front caused a sharp tap on the brakes, and half a dozen poles shot past my ear..

Definite pause for thought.

The poles were loaded first, on the return rip. Down on the floor..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IMO the choice of car was the cause of the death if it was as described. If it were a van the load would have been properly restrained.

What appalling visibility problems? I can see more from my Corsa than I could from the Herald I used to have. Same goes for the Astra. The Smarts are awful, I have to take the mirror out to be able to see forwards.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Can't have been a three-door current-shape Corsa, then. Unless your Herald was a van.

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Bollocks.

Bollocks.

Exactly. And they also GLF with a Toyota twink in 'em.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Several installation bods in a company I worked for had the daft idea of terry-clipping their long drills lengthwise on the tool rack behind the driver... One day an accident had one driver nearly impaled by a flying spear/drill as it neatly flew past his head and shattered the windscreen. Shortly after that the long drills were kept a bit more safely.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

The Herald had very good all-round visibility, afair.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Did with the top down anyway ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Not so good upside-down in a ditch though, thanks to the Tuckunder rear suspension. Two other things the Herald was remarkable for:

  1. Rusty chassis members - often patched up with angle iron /old bedframes for the MoT.
  2. Ultra tight turning circle - 24' iirc.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No, mines the previous shape, is there a problem with the new one then?

Reply to
dennis

Mine didn't have a soft top.

Yep, my brother put mine in a ditch. That leaf spring was a problem.

Yep, mine was patched with steel angle.

I don't remember it being that tight but it was much less than a Smart is.

Reply to
dennis

More Than

Reply to