OT: car tyres

Quite. Far more common than a tyre blowing through age. If the tyre is well under pressure and driven at speed it overheats through flexing. But you'd need to be a pretty unsympathetic driver not to notice it was that low in pressure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It very much depends on the balance of the wheels themselves and the quality of the tyres.

At one time, tyre makers supplied their best balanced tyres to the quality car makers. So they didn't need any balance weights fitted. Since their wheels were balanced too.

The replacement tyres you bought from the same maker were actually seconds. ;-)

Last set of rather expensive Michelin tyres I bought for the old Rover only needed two balanced, and only by a small amount.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As a matter of interest, do you think the modern tyres are as good as the old ones? I remember when the debate was radial vs crossply. Steel braced radials were the bee's knees. I think you could get over

40,000 miles. The figures nowadays seem much lower.
Reply to
Scott

They all need balancing, they may not require correction.

IME even the valve can upset the balance and need some correction, especially with a TPM valve.

Reply to
dennis

"*tyres are in good condition and inflated to the pressure shown on the tyre*"

Possibly but I was commenting more of what the gov site stated. 'Within the pressure range of the tyre' would have been more acceptable. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not Kwik Fit but one of their competitors. Always on the look out for extra selling.

I went in for a puncture repair some years ago. Next thing they had decided to open the boot of the car.

Sales person "There is a dead badger in your boot" Me "I know" Sales person "Our mechanic has just been sick" Me "That's not my problem is it? Do you need to open the boot to fix a front near side puncture?"

And no the car did not have locking wheel nuts etc that needed access to the boot.

Reply to
ARW

Hard to notice on a towed trailer though...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't they have to check all the tyres before releasing the vehicle? Mine has one in the boot :-)

Reply to
Scott

Think it's probably down to a much 'grippier' rubber mix. At odds with very long life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ITYM checking for balance. The act of balancing means applying weights, if needed.

Which is why many tyres are marked with a dot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Releasing the vehicle?

It was a puncture not a police arrest.

Reply to
ARW

When did you last see a kid in a Nova? Or actually see a Nova?

Reply to
ARW

The tyre doesn't know how heavy the valve is so it will probably need correcting anyway. You would be quite lucky if it matched the valve in static and dynamic balance.

Reply to
dennis

For fuel economy the car manufacturers fit tyres with the least rolling resistance. Softer rubber mix tyres may reduce road noise to an acceptable level.

Reply to
alan_m

'Return to customer' then. The question remains: does a tyre fitter have a duty to check all the tyres on the vehicle (or indeed a prudent company policy)? I'm sure they don't want the accused claiming 'My car was in [name] three days earlier and they never mentioned any problem.'

Reply to
Scott

Good point,

Change Nova for Corsa.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Dennis, the tyre is not actually sentient.

Reply to
Richard

Unlike the train doors on ScotRail that are 'preparing to close'.

Reply to
Scott

?All the doors in this spacecraft have a cheerful and sunny disposition. It is their pleasure to open for you and their satisfaction to close again with the knowledge of a job well done.? Douglas Adams

Reply to
alan_m

Only when up selling.

Even after finding the dead badger in the boot they claimed that my shock absorbers were gone. The same shock absorbers passed the next 3 MOTs.

Reply to
ARW