OT: Car Rotisseries

To be able to work on the underside of a car unimpeded and not having to do things like welding upside down has a strong appeal. But what are the limitations of these increasingly popular rotisseries? I guess you would have to remove the battery before performing the inversion, but what about draining oil, petrol, fluids, etc? And are the engine mountings going to be able to cope with a tensile load as opposed to compression??

Reply to
Chris

All liquids and the battery would have to come out and you will still have problems with gearbox oil leaking out , remains of petrol leaking and differential oil draining to one end of the axle and flooding the brake (I have directly seen this) You could use a lorry ratchet strap to secure the engine, but that is probably nothing compared to everything else. A great idea with a stripped out shell though.

Get a nice two post lift instead far more useful.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Was I the only one who read that thread title and thought of some type of in car BBQ?

Reply to
John Rumm

When I needed to change a Mini sub-frame, several decades ago, I put a lot of strong cardboard boxes along one side and, with the help of a couple of friends, rolled the car onto its side. The boxes compressed a bit, but supported the load without damage to the car. As you say, everything vaguely liquid had to be taken out first.

Reply to
Nightjar

Nope. Probably more useful too.

Reply to
Nightjar

No, you were not alone.

Reply to
MrCheerful

No I thought it was going to be something to take on a picnic such as this

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

When I was at (grammar) school in the 1960's, one of my acquaintances had a "sit up and beg" Ford Poplar, and he changed a back axle in the student car park at the other side of the playing field this way, during the 90 minute lunch hour. But without the cardboard boxes, and possibly not worrying too much about the fluids either. Didn't actually see it, so don't know if he "propped" it.

Reply to
newshound

I'm sure I read about the Lada rally team (don't laugh) doing this to a car at one of the rally stops. There was no suggestion about draining things down, but rally cars are built to be safe-ish upside down.

Reply to
GB

Not laughing, weren't they quite successful in their class at one time? Plus, they were built to take abuse, and not to need much more than a hammer and a screwdriver for maintenance.

I've heard it said that the standard "apprentice project" for blacksmiths in Africa to make a replacement leaf spring for a Landy.

Reply to
newshound

Engine and gearbox mounts are not an issue. They are designed to take braking and cornering loadings.

As for oils it depends how far over you go. Up to 45 degrees probably would not be an problem. That would give pretty good access underneath.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

You might get air in the hydraulics of the brake/power steering/clutch system.

Reply to
harry