OT Car Dash Cam

Thinking of getting one as support in cases of accidents. I recall seeing enthusiastic reviews some time back (when I wasn't thinking of getting one) that was about ?30. Has anone any experience of such a cheap camera?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Metoo!

I'm just looking for something that will record "it was the stupid bugger in front's fault" I don't even need it (though it would be nice) to be a good enough to prove who that stupid bugger was.

I've no interest in taking videos that I will keep to "show to my friends"/"review my driving performance", which I understand is the motivation of many who buy this "toy"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , DerbyBorn writes

I got one for ~£10 that seems to do the job, but from reading around it appears that the insurance companies, police etc. aren't interested unless it's got GPS so that your own speed, location and time can be verified. I therefore went for the model below, but it's a tad more than you may want to pay - £150ish.

Nick

Have a look on this

website

Have a look at the different dash cams and he thinks of them. That should give you some ideas as to what would suite you.

I bought a mobious dashcam last year, and love it.

Reply to
BobH

I've bought a couple of cheap units from Amazon. They work remarkably well. The dark performance surprises me, Purely used as a toy so far.

Reply to
Capitol

+1

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I bought a Transcend DrivePro 200 a few months ago. Very nice image quality. About £80 in Halfords I believe.

Reply to
Vortex11

IMO you need an invisible one so that if the accident was your fault, you can just not mention it.

I recall seeing

Reply to
Santo Brown

In message , Nick writes

I'm still using the very cheap sub-£10 ones in the car. I have 2 and swap them round from time to time. There are occasional problems where I have to reset, but they are amazingly good for the price.

In the Disco, I have tried an Android tablet in a windscreen mount. It's a bit big and I had what looked like hum bars moving up the screen until I poked some rubber between the dash and the tablet to reduce the vibration. There is free software, which I think will record the GPS etc. The only time I've really tried it was on a trip across Wales last summer, and the quality was excellent. I just did a linear record, but I think it can be set to loop record.

Reply to
Bill

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 14:58:50 +0100, Nick wrote:=

Speed location and time is irrelevant if the video clearly shows the oth= er person doing an illegal manoeuvre.

-- =

In the event that all else has failed, and it seems tempting to actually= read the instructions, don't panic: Get a bigger hammer!

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Just remove it quickly and hide it.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 12:47:53 +0100, DerbyBorn w= rote:

This does me fine: GS8000L - =A317 inc postage. I added a large SD card= though, it uses it up quick. And buy a known make like Kingston and ma= ke sure it's a speed 10 or better, there's some shit SD cards going abou= t that can't handle continuous high speed writing. The first two I boug= ht I had to get refunds for. One was too slow and one broke.

-- =

I consider exercise vulgar, it makes people smell. -- Alec Yuill Thornto= n

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Easier said than done, particularly if it's a serious accident and you can't get to it because you aren't free to move. Makes more sense to have an invisible one so that no one except you knows that there is one in your car.

And it makes sense for it to be able to do everything, provide you with a record of who broke into your car too and who side swiped it when it was parked or ran into the back of your car.

Reply to
Santo Brown

Can't say I've ever had one of those.

The invisibility cloak has not yet been invented.

Perhaps. But the majority of the time it was someone hitting you when you were driving.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Nor me

and if I did, the last thing I would be worried about is losing my no claims because it was my fault

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The prats with Magic Indicators as they join a motorway flowing at

60+ at 40-.

I don't think there any 4K Dashcams out there yet to enable the reading of number plate at 25yds of course seeing what the Red BMW was doing before it collided with something is probably proof enough as to what happened.

I've a cheapy as well. Supposed to be "HD" but that is upscaling and ARCing the native VGA 640x480 sensor. It's good enough to see what's going on but you can't read the number plate of a vehicle that has just overtaken you.

Not bad in street lit areas but is strictly limited to the bright zone of the headlights without street lights.

I have it mainly for the winter to show colleagues when I arrive on site the conditions up here that didn't stop me.

Now I've had it for a while I'd now want one with WiFi or Bluetooth so you don't have to remove the camera from the car, or the card from the camera, to transfer movies to somewhere more accessable.

I also have AutoGuard Dash Cam - Blackbox by Hovan Yoo on the (Android) phone, that works pretty well. Bung that on a dedicated phone with a HD camera and you get the GPS based stuff and WiFi/Bluetooth, needs a mount and dark performance might not be very good. I'm not sure if it has gapless recording though, ie it drops a second when ending one x minute recording and starting the next. Sods law dictates that the crucial event will happen in that gap... The cheapy is gapless.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Here's the latest incident recorded on my very cheap (£10 delivered) Ebay camara

Graham.

Brilliant info here -

I use a Mini 0806, which works perfectly.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thinking of getting one as support in cases of accidents. I recall seeing

Do you have an iPhone? If so get the free "Witness" app It works well and records speed, location and G forces.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

"Muddymike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com: