OT Car batteries going flat.

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :

Correct! Modern cars with engine management systems, can precisely control the tick over revs, so that extra loading on an alternators makes no difference to the speed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Yes, most people know that.

However, the latest are more controlled.

This page is pretty good.

As you can see, the voltage is even more limited under some conditions.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Can't of been wired in properly, was faulty, wasn't exposed to sun in the right plane / location, was too small for the load or there was a fault creating too much drain? ;-)

When properly matched (like the roadside signs that are solar powered, or satellites <g>) there shouldn't be an issue. ;-)

If the parasitic load is a constant 600mW then a panel able to provide more than that (14.4Wh over any 24 hour period) should cover it. So a

2W panel would need a good 7 hours of sunshine / day to completely counteract the load (so may be a bit close in that case). A 5W panel might be a better match as long as there was enough sunshine to maintain sufficient charge to start the car after any number of days. Might not do it in the winter. ;-(

Thinking on, 50mA does seem quite a high parasitic load though?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My garage actually suggested this for the motorhome. Obviously you need to be careful on your first trip out after doing it but they says it burns off quickly.

Not been brave enough to try it...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

We rarely have our MH standing that long without at least a short trip. However, with the current situation... We had a couple of trips booked- one overlapping the start of the lockdown. We saw it coming and cancelled. I?ll possibly use the MH to do a shopping run, just to give the tyres a turn etc. Shouldn?t be a problem- plenty of diesel etc. I keep it on hook up so the batteries are fine.

Planning lots of future trips, this will all seem like a bad dream before we know it.

Reply to
Brian Reay

We rarely have our MH standing that long without at least a short trip. However, with the current situation... We had a couple of trips booked- one overlapping the start of the lockdown. We saw it coming and cancelled. I?ll possibly use the MH to do a shopping run, just to give the tyres a turn etc. Shouldn?t be a problem- plenty of diesel etc. I keep it on hook up so the batteries are fine.

Planning lots of future trips, this will all seem like a bad dream before we know it

=====

Ohhhh I do hope so!!!!

Reply to
Ophelia

I don't see why not. The law does not require a receipt when returning goods, just evidence of purchase. Normally that is the receipt, but it can also be a bank statement showing payment at that time; the fact that it was a model that only they sold and for a limited period; a record that the shop has (I returned a microwave to Currys once and they had the purchase on their system); etc.

I usually find dozens of receipts building up in my pocket and some of them fade/rub away before they get filed.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's because the graphs on the machine they are wired up to stop moving. They become flat horizontal lines.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

If I need it, which is not very often, I just print it out again and trim with guillotine. Worked with Halfords, haven't tried it with Lidl.

Paper ones do fade out in time.

Reply to
bert

Then they know wrong

It's current that is controlled, by the alternator. Its the battery that then controls the voltage

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Brian Reay formulated on Saturday :

We had booked and actually arrived onto site, the same day the site closed - so all the way back to home :-(

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Wrong way round, the voltage output is controlled, current is whatever current is needed up to the maximum the alternator can supply. The battery does help stabilise the voltage and remove glitches. Remove the regulator and output can be as high as 110v.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

on 04/04/2020, Vir Campestris supposed :

The heart monitor.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Well, for most of us. Obviously those who lose loved ones will feel differently.

While I?m not pretending this is trivial, even the worst realist numbers are comparable with a flu season (no matter what Pamela insists), the NHS has stepped up, as have many other areas etc. Most of the doom and gloom is media nonsense

Obviously it is going to be tougher for some than others once things start moving. Those on pensions etc will, in the main, escape most of it. Those paying the higher tax rates will get hit I expect ;-( Eventually jobs will, mostly, return.

But, as a Nation we?ve been through economic ups and downs before. This isn?t the first and it won?t be the last. People will say others weren?t this bad but guess what, that has been said before.

Besides, what is the option? Give in to the doom an gloom as some obviously have, start bouncing of the walls, screaming the Government has it wrong, ..... that is how these people who are cracking up and stabbing people start.

No, ride it out. Might even have a BBQ tomorrow- just the two of us of course but I?m sure I can find a decent bottle of red in the stocks.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Not into a battery it cannot.

Open circuit voltage output of a generator is RPM times magnetic flux (times a constant). In order to charge a battery at all at low RPM that constant will be quite high, leading as you say to potential output voltages that are way higher than the battery. BUT what happens thereafter is simply an attempt to limit charge *current* to safe values. Once you do that the battery itself will - due to its own I/R/Charge relationship, set the voltage to whatever is appropriate. You don't control the voltage to set the charge current, you set the charge current and let the voltage be what it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Brian Reay presented the following explanation :

Let's hope!

Some locals are already suggesting they are bouncing off the walls from the enforced stay home. It's not really bothering me, plenty to my mind active.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It happens that The Natural Philosopher formulated :

Pull the battery after the engine is started and still still get the

14.2v perhaps a bit raw, but still a controlled voltage output.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I assume they'd gone quartz by that time.

Reply to
tabbypurr

not that that's relevant in any way to the choice between junk & one that should last.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Strangely, I don't recall difficulties in getting food supplies and restrictions on movement even in the 3-day week period.

Reply to
mechanic