Are the TV companies letting us down?

That they would have died of anyway?...

Reply to
Jimk

I think so. I cannot be alone in wanting cheering up, but there is nothing cheerful on TV at all. surely they could show some good old films, not just the dreary programmes they are showing. I agree that lots of people wish to be kept updated on the virus, but not to the exclusivity of all else, as, particularly the BBC, seem to be doing. come on lets have some good entertainment, at least some of the time!

Reply to
Broadback

What's wrong with a 2 hour program to cover 10 minutes of virus update news? I watched 10 minutes of BBC news this morning. All the relevant facts about the pandemic were covered in the 2 minutes of news "headlines" which was followed by armchair experts and other journalists repeating exactly the same thing without adding anything of value.

The BBC have had no money in the past few years to produce any programs as can be witnessed by them showing what was once considered third rate day-time content in the prime evening slots.

Reply to
alan_m

The current situation has revealed exactly how much they have relied on sport (and "sport") to fill their schedules. Remove that and it starts to look like the parade of chat shows and programmes about programmes it has devolved into.

Of course they can "repeat classic series". But that is akin to Greggs announcing they are selling bread. Not news, nor necessarily particularly nutritious ...

We have hundreds of hours of box sets built up over time, so no loss of content for us. And YouTube should have enough to keep most people busy these days.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I wasn't aware there had ever been much worth watching on tv. Try youtube.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It still jars with me - "box sets" - what are they? Surely they should (originally) have been "boxed sets" and anyway calling a recording of a series long after things in boxes went out with the ark seems pretty silly.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Reply to
Chris Green

Are you actually holding a stick?

GH

Reply to
Marland

It's how language - all language - works. There's a tendency to economy and creating an overall "tone sound" that fits within the languages framework.

It's why we say "PIN number", not "PI number" ... just seems to "sound" better. Despite being wrong.

"Box Set" vs. "Boxed Set" ... similar. The "ed" in "Boxed" is just a tad too much for the efficiency of the language.

Also, I think there's already a history of the phrase "box set" in English from other areas. And it can be easier to crowbar an existing phrase that sounds right, rather than enforce a new one. As the French frequently discover.

The final arbiter of language is use. If 99% of speakers insist on using it "wrong" then it becomes right, and we add another layer of complexity to the already quite exception-heavy mother tongue.

FWIW, I tend to enjoy modernisms more than they grate. Although there are times I do feel I missed a memo.

The invented-in-the-last-few-days phrase "died *with* C-19" with its nuance to avoid saying "died *of* C-19" is really starting to get on my wick ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I rarely watch TV. Why not iPlayer and watch box sets, and actually watch things you want to see.

Watching TV real time TV is so outdated.

Reply to
Fredxx

That's a very important distinction IMO.

Reply to
Max Demian

It's American I think.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Have you actually looked through all the channels on FreeView? Loads and loads of old films and old entertainment progs - as well as plenty else. Get yourself a PVR and record those old films if they aren't available on catchup, for when you want to view them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you ever considered any of the other 100 or so choices on FreeView? Do you know how to change your TV from BBC1?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Broadback submitted this idea :

TalkingPictures, channel 81?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

While I agree, there is a danger we'll soon be hearing of people that died *with* bullet wounds, rather than *of* bullet wounds ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's particularly noticeable with prostate cancer. Many old men die _with_ prostate cancer, but don't die _of_ it, they die of something else.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

We've got 500GB on our PVR. It's dropping...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I am aware of the distinction. I am also aware that it opens the door for a less scrupulous government than ours to fiddle the figures to allow all sorts of heads-we-win/tails-you-lose wrinkles in policy.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

My father ,as 89, dies of pheumonia, but only because his immune system was affected by the chemotherapy he was receiving for prostate cancer.

Reply to
charles

And people who died after drinking water rather than people who died of drinking water.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher