OT: can I quick format (to ntfs) a previous ext3 drive?

Quick format doesn't alter the filesystem.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Surely formatting a hdd is quicker than posting a question & awaiting reply. What's the actual problem?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Surely formatting a hdd is quicker than posting a question & awaiting reply. What's the actual problem?

Well, I started a complete format at ~20:15 and it's now up to %78 at 22:11 (1TB USB drive)

Reply to
brass monkey

ah, usb :( Not running off a USB1 port is it?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

There are 3 types of format I'm aware of:

1) Full diskcheck, then write out a filesystem skeleton
Reply to
Tim Watts

ah, usb :( Not running off a USB1 port is it?

If it is I've been done by ebuyer :)

Reply to
brass monkey

Ah, well, I didn't know if a ext3 format had different sector points per track than ntfs, hence my question. Or is the number of sectors dictated by the data density of the platter etc etc. It's something I've never needed to know or even thought about. Thinking about it, I'm glad I've never needed to know :D Cheers.

Reply to
brass monkey

Nope, you would need a full format. Quick format only rewrites the main directory / MFT data structures - it does not do the complete disk layout.

Reply to
John Rumm

On modern drives the real layout is hidden from the computer. You will find drives that report 16 heads when they only have a couple of platters.

The number of sectors per track also varies with more of them near the edge.

They all use 512 byte sectors too. Long gone are the days when you would chose a sector size and format the drive. Its almost impossible to do a low level format.

Just as well.

Reply to
dennis

Not true, you can quite happily create a partition, quick format it and use it, doing a full format tends to take rather too long once you get into the TB range (even on SAS disks), so I usually skip full format these days.

Reply to
Andy Burns

4kB sectors are the new black.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, I suppose what happens after each index pulse is only known to the drive itself and transparent to us. Anyway, it took 2.75 hrs :) Cheers folks.

Reply to
brass monkey

What you're describing is an obsolescent system that would never be applied to a 1TB drive. CHS and the fakery thereof is pretty much history.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I know nothing of the equipment you're using, so I'm not saying it neessarily is the issue. I'm just aware that its common for even high spec new machines to have at least one USB1 port as well as USB2 or 3.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Extrapolating from the 160Gb drive that just took almost an hour to prepare and format to NTFS with 2 partitiona and 3 logical drives, that sounds reasonable.

Reply to
John Williamson

My new 1TB drive uses 4kb blocks - 'cos I told it to.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Not on PCs with sata drives it isn't. If you want to go into stuff the average home user will never see feel free.

Reply to
dennis

Sectors are not blocks.

Sectors are real physical things on the disk platter. Blocks are virtual things. Telling it to use 4k blocks does not change the disk format on most (all common) drives.

Reply to
dennis

Perhaps its just me being paranoid... On a brand new disk a QF is ok, however if reusing one previously used for another file system then I usually prefer the full format (or better still, a drive wipe[1] and then a format (quick or otherwise). Partly with a mind to what happens if you need to do data recovery on the drive at a later stage. ! ;-)

[1] Also takes blinking ages...
Reply to
John Rumm