OT - calling all hipsters - C90 cassette - HK2000

O.K. - I know that most posters here are spade neck beards in disguise.
Clearing out a small portion of the loft I came across a Harman Kardon cassette tape deck.
A quick punt through eBay suggests that they still sell for a bit and some for surprisingly much.
Is this realistic or are eBayers 'avin a larf?
The deck is an HK2000 which seems to have reasonable reviews including a posting in <http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-greatest-consumer-cassette-tape- deck-ever-produced.647334/page-2>
Cheers
Dave R

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 14:59:25 +0000, David wrote:

tape-

On 25/08/17 16:05, David wrote:

I ran tests on a top end Nakamichi once. Even after two days tweaking I could never get left and right channels to behave the same and both were enough to make a maiden blush.
I concluded that 'cassette' and 'hi fi' didnt belong in the same sentence.
And Dolby was about as good at reduceing noise whilst -presevcng fidelity as a wind turbine is at reduceing CO2 emissions whilst still generating affordable electricity.
I carried on with vinyl till CDs arrived.
--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:13:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

people who claimed they could tell the difference between vinyl and CDs always struck me as the sort of people who would refuse to consider an automatic "because of the fuel consumption" despite the fact they could even come close to 50% of the manufacturers spec ....
Yes, there *is* a difference. But *they* would never find it ...
The early CDs were mainly poor due to the fact a lot of them were merely made from the masters tweaked for the vinyl. They thus had a big pre emphasis for the 5khz region and a bass cut to stop the grooves having huge excursions on in phase elements or depth issues on out of phase ones. The advent of remastering and of pure digital from end to end complete with jitter has made CD far better. However as always, the decisions made by the producer stamp them with a personality, and for example you seldom get high dynamic range in popular albums, but the folk going back to the lets say, old Elton John recordings for a remix have made some outstandingly good sounding cds, far better than the vinyl could have ever been.
Brian
--
----- -

I've never heard an early CD made in this way. Early CDs were expensive, and made from the studio master - not a vinyl cutting version. Unless that studio master had been lost. And given early CDs tended to be of big selling stuff, unlikely.
--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Billionaire Sound Pioneer Ray Dolby Dies, Age 80 Ray Dolby died Thursday in San Francisco, age 80. He suffered from Alzheimer's Disease and acute leukemia.
A pioneer in the field of sound, Dolby will be remembered as the man who took the hiss out of sound recordings.
With a fortune of $2.4 billion at his death, Dolby truly did make silence golden
<quote>
https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2013/09/13/billionaire-sound-pioneer-ray-dolby-dies-age-80/#17f3479b739f
Obviously money isn't everything, but it probably helps.
As presumably Dolby didn't die a deeply bitter man.
michael adams
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:13:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Worse still, a forum poster has put "cassette" and "studio quality" together.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

It's also only as good as the width of the tape. The fact that Dolby sound reduction was very effective on 1/4, and 1/2. studio tape which was why it was widely adopted, and rather less effective but still an improvement on 1/8 inch cassette tape, appears to have totally escaped you.
michael adams
On 25/08/17 17:35, michael adams wrote:

no, its so obvious I cant believe you think anyone doesn'tt know that. Especially tnp
dork

Two of the easiest ways to make yourself look stupid on Usenet are
a) By not reading what's been posted previously in a thread.
b) Putting rather too much credence in the outpourings of the bullshit artists and fantasy merchants, with which Usenet abounds.
I don't resort to name calling myself; as people such as yourself are clearly labouring under enough of a handicap as it is.
Mind how you go now. And have a nice day.
michael adams

I'm sorry "Tjoepstil" , you've got me a bit confused here.
Just recently you've admitted that "Tjoepstil" and "the Natural Philospher" are the same person. You. They're both nyms you use on your two computers "Tjoepstil" on your laptop and "The Natural Philosopher" on your desktop.
The only difference being that you only post as "Tjoepstil" from the laptop in your bedroom.
But just there you referred to "tnp" in the third person, in support of what "The Natural Philospher" had just posted. Can you see ?
Where you posted - "Especially tnp"
As though "tnp" and you are two different people.
Did you get a bit confused and think you were still in the living room posting on the desktop at the same time as you were in the bedroom posting on the laptop ?
michael adams
"Used by the [...[Government in the form proposed, the referendum is a tactical device to get over a split in their own party, and any constitutional consequences are, therefore, of only secondary importance in the Government's eyes."
Margaret Thatcher 1975
michael adams wrote:

By comparing the messages from both, clearly the laptop keyboard is easier to type on, except that it has a broken shift key ...
On 22/10/17 16:00, Andy Burns wrote:

Not quite true, but the athritis makes it hard to reach that when using the mouse pad.
kind word alone.
On Sunday, 22 October 2017 17:49:15 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ers

op.

Nah it can't be anything that simple, must be a giant conspiracy involving a whole network of people for entirely unknown but nonetheless nefarious re asons. Welcome to Michael's World, mind the fairies.

The world according to Druncker!
--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

BTW - WTF is a "hipster" ?
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

http://d22ir9aoo7cbf6.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/02/Hipster-1.jpg
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 3rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183

Dolby A as used on pro tape machines is a totally different beast from that used with cassettes.
--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Which was rather my point.
Which was made in response to Turnip's original comment about Dolby which you won't have read as you killfiled him. The reason the perforamnce of even top end cassette decks such as Nakamichi was so poor relatively speaking wasn't because of deficiencies in Dolby as such; as Turnip implied. But because of the limitations imposed by using 1/8in tape.
Basically nothing you could do with 1/8 tape could match the performance offered by wider formats. Which for some strange reason Turnip appeared to think possible.
The fact that in addition this limitation made it impossible to implement Dolby A is a side issue. Even Dolby B offered a big improvement on what would have otherwise have been even poorer sound quality resulting from the 1/8inch limitation.
michael adams