OT - callers at door.

Bruce wibbled on Tuesday 20 April 2010 17:42

Reply to
Tim Watts

In my original reply to the OP I did point out that shutting the door in the face of an unwanted caller is understood by callers of all nationalities (and deaf people). A nice polite "No Thanks" is of no use to to them.

Adam

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Poor guy. My father used to do that with political canvassers, Jehovah's Witnesses and, in particular, two earnest young Americans from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons).

I don't think they had the faintest idea what they had let themselves in for. He talked to them for over two hours and, from half an hour in, they had been itching to escape. He was relentless. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

That's the way to do it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's really very simple. You open the door, see some people you don't know, and don't want to know (hawkers, religious nutters etc.), and you say "Not today, thanks" and shut the door.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

So, they'll come back tomorrow! Since I made a picket gate to match my fence, people can't find the gate now.

Reply to
Matty F

:-) Actually I'm more likely to say "Not interested, sorry", or if I'm feeling irritated I'll drop the "sorry". In the case of Jehovah's Witnesses and their ilk I might add "We're atheists" just for kicks.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I bet you're not troubled by elephants, either.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

B-)

They might, that's why I prefer the "Sorry, not interested " method, note the "sorry" comes first. Remember this will be an interuption to their speil, they will only "hear" the end of the interuption not the begining so it's then end that is important.

I get the impression that the OP and her partner are of mature years and will have been brought up to be be polite and show courtesy to everyone (if you didn't you got a clip round the ear hole...). So being forceful and rude by closing the door in someones face goes against that upbringing. Unfortunately in this modern world it's the best solution, unless you do have the gift of the gab and can talk about anything for ever and bore them to death. A fruitless half hour on your doorstep will be a good number of your neighbours that won't have been bothered...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm of that ilk. It really is quite uncomfortable for me to be forceful - which I think of as discourteous.

Unfortunately in this modern world it's the

Reply to
Clot

Dave Liquorice :

I'm of mature years and had a similar upbringing. But I feel no need to show respect to someone who doesn't show respect to me. If they don't take no for an answer, they deserve to be left looking at a closed door.

Not that I get more than one cold caller every couple of years or so. Or to be more accurate *two* cold callers - one at the front door, swiftly followed by the same person at the back door (thinking, with some justification, that it's the front door of another house).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

My parents used to answer their door. They were ripped off for £2500 for a baddly done guttering job that they had to pay someone else £800 to re-do.

The conmen came back for more work. Mum told them what-for. If she'd had the physical ability I suspect violence might have been involved.

I later found out that she'd been buying dusters and the usual rubbish for years. She's stopped that now, thank God.

I don't answer the door until I've looked out the window. If it's anyone important they'll try again.

Sis-in-law had one a while back. Bloke knocked on door asked for water for car that was 'around the corner'. S-i-L noticed a car waiting nearby but didn't think anything of it. Later that day a Taxi driver turned up asking her to pay the fare of the so-and-so who'd said she would pay. The bloke had made out he lived with S-i-L, hence why he'd knocked on door! (the fact he'd not used a key helped convince driver they'd both been conned)

Reply to
pjlusenet

The only flaw I can see in the 'not interested' bit is that if they are sharp enough then they can counter with, 'how do you know you're not interested until I tell you why I'm here'. That's not a problem for me or thee but it might throw the unpracticed door closer. Never give them an 'in'.

I also hate to lie to anyone so I never tell them I'm sorry ;-).

Mine is, "No thank you", .

Reply to
fred

No elephant trouble at all. Bunny boilers on the other hand....

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I remeber when I was a boy of about 12 or 13 we had a (male) Jehovahs Witness at the door. I opened it and then called for my Dad. When Dad came to the door the JW launched into his speech. Dad said "No thank you" and shut the door. As the door was nearly closed the JW put his foot in it preventing my Dad from fully closing it. The conversation went.......

Dad - "Do Jehovahs Witnesses believe in miricles?

JW - "Oh yes Sir the Lord Almighty can do many wonderous things............"!

Dad - "Good, because if you don't move your f****ing foot you'll need one"!

Needless to say the foot was removed rapidy and we never saw JW's again.

Cheers

John

(RIP Dad)

Reply to
John

Invite them in and then lock the door

unsettles them that, especially when you then ask them questions that you know they can't answer

Reply to
geoff

I'm the same, me

Reply to
geoff

Send now for my DIY plans for a large lever, a trapdoor and an oubliette.

Colin

Reply to
Nightjar

Reply to
john

If you think you need be polite, just remember these people are parasites trying to take as much of your money as they can. And they don't give a monkeys how much they pester you.

I find just closing the door without pause or comment is most effective. Any communication whatever leaves them with a glimmer of hope.

If you've got the time you can have fun with them though. Eg say to the Jojos 'oh do come in' followed by the sort of laugh that will make them wonder if you think you're the antichrist. Be sure to block the doorway as you say this, and if they're dim enough to accept your offer, reply 'oh goodie!' with plenty of evil laughter, wring your hands etc. If they actually start to move in, jump back in the way, finger out, too close for comfort, and say 'But... actually Marjorie might get a bit funny about this, and I dont want the scene that happened last time, oh god, please no. Do you do exorcisms?' Put it on youtube.

Another thing some people try is to try and sell the salesperson something, like a used microwave. Life's too short imho.

NT

Reply to
NT