Gluing metal to wood.

Hello.
I have some steel which I want to glue to wood. After cleaning up the steel, should I put glue directly on that, or should I prime the steel first? I assume that whichever method is used, roughening the metal is important to give the glue more 'grip' - is this right?
Any help much appreciated.
David Paste.
wibbled on Tuesday 20 April 2010 17:50

Rough the metal and use araldite. Primer will only act as one more bond layer that might fail in this case. Araldite loves rough metal.
--
Tim Watts

This is what I was thinking. Excellent, Smithers.

I bet she does.
Cheers Tim.
something like:

I recently hot-glued wood to steel, plastic (ABS) and aluminium. It was only a foot long, by 1/2" and 1" wide, but I was surprised at the bond strength. No sign of any of it failing yet, but it's not really stressed much.
David Paste wrote:

This stuff is awesome http://www.screwfix.com/prods/23941/Sealants-Adhesives/Adhesives/Grab-Adhesives/High-Performance/Evo-Stik-Serious-Stuff-Adhesive-290ml#BVRRWidgetID

I've fixed a leaking sink for a Mr & Mrs Plumb, Changed some sockets for a Mrs Sparks & fitted shelves for Mr & Mrs Handy. And know I know a Mr Paste who wants advice on glue! Great!
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Ha! Excellent!