gluing cloth to wood

I wasn't too successful with my last jewelry box, I'm trying to glue velour (fake velvet) to the wood. What kind of glue should I use?

thanks david

Reply to
D K Woods

I did a silver chest for my wife with that same material into a refinished mahogany box. I had made cardboard patterns for all of the interior sides, for cutting the velour pattern, after all was test fitted, I glued the velour to the cardboard with an ordinary white glue and left it under some weight till dry, then glued the cardboard to the wood. It is also easier to avoid wrinkles in the fabric this way.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I've used plain old white glue to get felt to stick to wood. A thin coat, on the wood, was all it took along with some pressure. Don't attempt to spread the glue on the fabric.

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

I've never seen that before -- what type of glue is it? What kind of shop would I find it in? Woodworking shop, hobby shop, office supply...?

david

Reply to
D K Woods

Thanks for the tip, it had never occured to me to use a substrate for the cloth before. How do you do the edges? Do you wrap the cloth over the edge, or does it just not show?

david

Reply to
D K Woods

Bob wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Jul 15, 2003, 12:48pm From: snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net (Bob=A0Bowles) I find 3M Super 77 useful. On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:09:32 -0500, D K Woods wrote: I wasn't too successful with my last jewelry box, I'm trying to glue velour (fake velvet) to the wood. What kind of glue should I use?

****************************************************** You can go to a craft store and get this material on 8-1/2" x 11" self adhesive sheets. It has a backing on it which you peel off when you are ready to use it. Cut the material with the backing still on for a perfect fit. Then peel about 1" of the backing and start at one edge. Continue peeling. If you handle it lightly you can move it around if necessary, Run the edge of a plastic scraper over it to ensure adhesion. I made twelve boxes for Christmas gifts last year (I never made so many box joints in my life!) and had no trouble with any of them. Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Heavy weight construction paper cut slightly smaller than interior dimensions. Double-sided carpet tape on both sides. Cloth sightly larger than paper insert. Adhere cloth to one side, wrapping edges. orks great. Michael Helms Mountaineer Millworks Weddington, NC remove "nogoons" from email for replies

Reply to
jhmmwoodman