OT: Britain begins

Lost the argument *again* then, Dave? :->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

So why the fuss about off shore accounts?

Reply to
bert

Those are schemes actively promoted by governments to achieve a particular aim - to promote savings or to raise money for the government for example. Tax avoidance is a term normally attributed to schemes which exploit unintended loopholes or opportunities in tax legislation.

Reply to
bert

Forgot so many on here can't actually think beyond what is written. I blame it on the meja.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They are still, however, legal. Unlike tax evasion which is not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But there is still a bit difference between the two one is legal and open to everyone who's eligable while the other is theft.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I suggest many who evade tax also do so deliberately.

Reply to
Andy Burns

"Send three and fourpence, we are going to dance".

Reply to
Andrew

Not according to the TV programs I have watched. Smelting technology came from the East.

Reply to
Andrew

Freemasons corrupting all of the above ?

Reply to
Andrew

IR35 became law in about 2001 but many freelancers chose to ignore it with dubious IR35-friendly contracts, even though they only had one client.

For some reason HMRC didn't bother to go after them throughout the noughties, but now it seems they are.

Reply to
Andrew

In theory, it was nothing to do with the individual freelancer. Any employer was obliged to deduct PAYE and NI contributions unless the freelance produced the oppropriate authority from the ILR. Which I still have somewhere. One way round was to set up a company which you own and employs you. And that company bills the employer gross. But not worth the bother and expense in a lower paid job. Likely standard practice for high paid on screen types, though. And if those company accounts were examined carefully might well show it to be a tax avoiding scam. If the ILR had sufficient resources to do such things.

Of course, like many such things, rules are made without the resources to enforce them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wiki sez...

"The first evidence of this extractive metallurgy, dating from the 5th and 6th millennia BC,[6] has been found at archaeological sites in Majdanpek, Yarmovac, and Plocnik, in present-day Serbia. To date, the earliest evidence of copper smelting is found at the Belovode site near Plocnik.[7] This site produced a copper axe from 5500 BC, belonging to the Vin?a culture."

However smelting is not necessarily mining.

Bronze technology reached Britain about 2500 BC. And tahst when the first British mines occur.

Mining goes back further - flint mines go make tens of thousands of years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because some people have been putting money in offshore accounts, where tax is due under English law, and not telling the IR.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Tax would only be due if that money earned interest or other income. If it did and they didn't declare it, that's tax evasion.

Reply to
Tim Streater