OT: Britain begins

I must register my disapproval. Dumb they may be, but you could be a little more thoughtful.

"Streamlined ancestoral dependancy" or "Siblingbonking Tories" would be a kinder term. Although their favourite paper needs to combine words like welly and telly to attract the punters "dumb" might give offence to the more academically able.

It's a pity that there isn't a human equivalent of the arm of Crufts that recognised inbreeding problems in dogs.

If the house of commons had something similar we might have a moggmay or govejohnson to vary the gene pool a bit.

I suspect care would be needed to ensure that the right thing was dropped into the poo bag though, certainly a lot more care than that needed to figure out what was labradoodle and what was labradoodle excrement.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The legal system The House of lords Public schools Parliamentary democracy A tradition of honor and respectability. To name but a few.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So what's your position on legal aid ?

Do you think everyone, regardless of income should have access to the best possible legal advice and representation ?

Some people might suggest that apart from a small minority the best legal brains will naturally want to represent those who can pay them the most.

Do you agree with this observation ?

michael adams

michael adams

The Rule of Law, more particularly.

This country has been quite lucky in that in the 16th century we got rid of the Catholic extremists, and in the 17th firstly the monarchical extremist and then the Puritan extremists. That left reasonable people and a Bill of Rights. After that came steady evolution towards a Constitutional Monarchy, aided in the 19th century by that immigrant Prince Albert, who stopped Vicky from regressing.

As I have said before, we spent 300 years or so evolving away from various forms of aligarchal dictatorship, and if we escape the clutches of the oligarchal EU, that will be yet another bullet we've avoided.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think Thatcher, with her American backers, made that into a joke, and replaced nearly everyone in public life or the senior civil service who believed in it. Since then it's been take the bribes and get on with helping rich men get richer. It's a bit worrying how you misspell "honour", but maybe that's a coincidence.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Eh? Go back far enough, and we're all African.

This new thing is that the earliest Britons were swarthy. Not black, but dark. AIUI they were hunter-gatherers, and presumably ate a reasonable amount of vitamin-D rich fish. The beaker folk were farmers, and presumably became white so they could survive on a vitamin-D poor diet.

About 90% of the typical western European's ancestry is from the Beaker folk. And you can't chop 10% of yourself off...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Will you be asking the Arabs for reparations, too? They were hefty slavers of sub-saharan peoples and for a much longer period of time. You might also need to find the descendants of the chiefs and kings in West Africa who were busy selling to the slavers slaves from neighbouring tribes whom they captured in slave raids. You could ask those descendants how they feel about reparations.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bobbit.

Reply to
tabbypurr

That happy hour doesn't seem to have worked for you, bert.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

You don't deny being a tax avoider then?

Reply to
bert

Why on earth would I deny something you've made up, pet?

However, if you have evidence about my tax affairs you'd like to share on here, feel free.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He won't.

Reply to
Fredxx

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Well you have the opportunity to correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply to
bert

Why would I want to correct something you've made up?

You seem to think just because Brexiteers make things up it's OK to do it for everything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

A simple yes or no would suffice.

Reply to
bert

I bet you are too.

Do you have any of: Pension? ISA/TESSA/TOISA whatever it is this week? Premium bonds?

Do you claim you personal allowance to set off against tax?

The only people in this country who have never used legal schemes to avoid tax are those who have never paid any tax. And even some of them have avoided tax too.

You may be confusing tax evasion and avoidance.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Dave is doing it deliberately.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Most if not all people who avoid tax do it deliberately. I wonder how many who have ISA's etc have not done so deliberately.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Doing what, pet? My income tax is deducted at source. I don't even need to fill in a tax return.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Reply to