Bunnings (again)

Went in for the first time today.

It was actually quite full, more people that i even saw in a homebase

Though their kitchen offering is poor, and they wouldn't give me a price list saying that I had to sit down with the planner and have them price it up

That's one shop I wont be buying from

Reply to
tim...

That seems a little odd. How are you supposed to shop around if they won't let you know what stuff costs. Maybe you need to price it up at a few competitors then show them and say can you undercut these? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are prices on the sample units on the wall. and a ball park figure for the "standard" kitchen in that design

But that doesn't tell you that cupboard A is unavailable with alternative door X.

Which is the problem that I had in Wren, and is also a problem with the kitchens in Wickes, even though I do have a price list from them

So you can get a general idea of the price, but not an exact price.

They all have a broken model IMHO (but that's because I'm not, nor am accompanied by, a 20 something girlie whose only interest in their new car is what colour it is) where they expect you to choose your style of kitchen first and then have the cupboards that are available in that style, even if that (a) produces a compromised layout or (b) is over your price range.

Whereas I want to layout my kitchen with the most efficient use of the space for cupboards first and then have it costed with the cheapest doors on the front

tim

Reply to
tim...

Inherently: They have actual shops.

I went into our local one yesterday on a whim for the second time (about

8 million staff working) as they stock air tool bits and I fancied an amble.

Now, I rarely go into shops these days and I actually felt so overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff they did have that it occurred to me that browsing web sites and catalogues suits me far better for planning and buying for projects that the loss of the "go and poke and prod" isn't much of a problem.

I did buy a 1/4" PCL male fitting for under £2 so it wasn't all bad.

Reply to
Scott M

For most things I prefer an actual shop where I can go and look at what I want and, when I find the right item, can pay and walk away with it.

Online is good for many things, but you cannot feel the build quality, measure unlisted dimensions or even properly judge colours online. Plus you then have to wait for delivery; often miss it and have to wait again; then find that it is not suitable, have to return it and start over again.

Or like myself a while back: We needed a tumble dryer ugently after ours broke (middle of a very rainy period, with 3 children, each who could need one or more items of school uniform washing, drying and ironing in the few free hours between getting home and us going to bed).

Found what we wanted, checked stock, ordered for next day delivery. Phone call that night - only one in stock damaged, no replacement. Next morning phone office to cancel only to be told they have plenty in stock. Rearrange for next day. Call at 07:30 to say they haven't. Call office to cancel, told they are in stock, inform them otherwise, get them to cancel. Money will be back into account in 5 working days.

Find same item in stock at Boots online. Order. Receive confirmation of order- hmmm, looks familiar. Boots online use same out of stock supplier! Cancel again. Money will be back into account in 5 working days.

Drive to a shop, with my trailer, buy and take away there and then.

Loads of hassle and, for a while, almost £1000 out of my account, plus days of delay. Arggggh!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

For white goods many shops only have the one item for display and you are effectively mail ordering in the shop for next day(s) delivery from a central warehouse or direct from the manufacturer.

Reply to
alan_m

Many, but not all.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I tend to check prices and availability online before going to Wickes/Currys/whoever.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Possibly because I didn't have a particular need in mind, just idly looking at the endless stuff was a bit overwhelming. I did pick through the tool section happily and decided I wouldn't be buying any of their sockets or spanners.

Reply to
Scott M

To think you could have solved all that with a £15 fan.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Whenever I go somewhere like that, that has tons of "useful" stuff, I get the feeling there's something I needed but can't quite remember.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yeah! Or "That looks useful, I'll remember it's here when I need it" and promptly forget.

Reply to
Scott M

+1

I stood outside the traditional ironmongers in our local town for a good

5 minutes wondering what it was I wanted, and it wasn't until I got home that I remembered. Screw eyes. Surely there's a 'phone app for that?

(As an aside - it's so much cheaper to buy things online, or even at Screwfix, that I end up buying a huge bag of something to get a small amount, e.g., 500g of panel pins is a f*ck load. I'm sure my executor will be delighted with them.)

Reply to
Huge

My son has already started moaning about all the work he will have sorting out my stuff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We've both started weeding out our various accumulations of stuff - of course, whatever we get rid of will be something we need a few weeks later...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Hehe. I needed a few split rings a while back, I now have what is probably a lifetime's supply.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Panel pins Plastic wall plugs Yellow & green sleeving (a kilometer from SF was cheaper than 5 meters from B&Q) 'O' rings Picture pins (they were *50p* *each* in B&Q) Roll pins Blade fuses (for cars)

I'm sure there are loads more.

Reply to
Huge

All of those here too.

Split pins, grommets, springs, small spatlas (100), small syringes (100) ...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I noticed halfords selling 2-way wago connectors in individual packages at £2 each!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm guessing you meant "spatulas" rather than "spatlas". I guess the 'U' key must have ducked out of the way when you typed that. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good