OT Breakdown cover again - prices for existing customers

Its 10:30pm on a Sunday and I'm in the north of Scotland 300 miles from home. The car has manged to smash its clutch housing so cannot be repaired quickly and I need to get home by no later than midday on Monday.

Which local garage will arrange for me and the car to get home?

Or I ring one of the big companies, the phone is answered and they make the arrangements for me and the car to travel home and take the car on to a garage for the repairs to be done locally to home.

Reply to
Bev

Work did not give you a Fiat then?

Although fair play I have had the new van just over two weeks and not broken down.

Reply to
ARW

Had a real breakdown on the M6 just north of Stafford trying to get back to Surrey. The maker provided assistance which in this case, they contracted to the RAC. Car taken on transporter (with myslf and passenger) to their west London depot. Car would be taken to dealer, myself & passenger driven to a hire car depot. Hire car to get us home provided and I later drove the car to the dealer and swapped it for my repaired vehicle.

Reply to
charles

Or ring one of the smaller cheaper companies that do exactly the same.

Reply to
alan_m

How often do you breakdown? You can just pay for a service when and if the need arises.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Let me know who they are and I'll consider it.

Reply to
Bev

Not if you drive a Fiat.

Reply to
ARW

because they are offering the discount price to anyone who asks

without there being any commitment to a long term contract

discounts as loss leaders can only work if you get repeat business at full price

if the customer just walks to the next discounted offer next time, your business model is doomed to failure

Reply to
tim...

assuming that you need phone and holiday insurance

not everyone does

Reply to
tim...

Just noticed I can go back to the AA as a new starter with a 33% discount for only £79.

As it seems you get benefits for not being a loyal customer I'll go back to them. They have served me well with the works van.

Reply to
ARW

Unless a profit can be made on the discounted price.

Reply to
alan_m

The small print in the AA adverts now says they will not come out for the same fault a second time.

Although their web site offers seem to have changed recently I have been using Rescue My Car for many years. For my vehicle it is/was a yearly payment of £19 PLUS a £40 excess. If you don't call them out it is £19 and if you do a one off additional excess payment of £40, taken from a card at the time of the phone call. They use third party garages and recovery services. I had to use the service 5 years ago and had my car transported back approx 150 miles.

Reply to
alan_m

I pay £45 for breakdown and recovery as an add-on with my Aviva comp policy. No idea what company actually provides it.

Reply to
Andrew

I used them for one year before joining Green Flag. There was something in their T&C about getting taken to a choice of location that I did not like if I broke down 300 miles from home.

Reply to
ARW