OT: Brakes seizing on electric cars? (2024 Update)

I presume earlier cars had a four-speed box plus a two-speed overdrive box "in series" because it was easier to do this than to design a gearbox that had 5 or 6 ratios.

What changed, around the time of the first British cars with 5-speed gearboxes, that allowed 5-speed to become possible and later standard? I believe the Austin Maxi was one of the first to have 5-speed.

Reply to
NY

FWD and an integrated gearbox and differential, with constant velocity universal joints.

Reply to
Max Demian

Rubbish.

What changed was the M1 and the need for cars that could run all day at

70mph+ without blowing up.

Like German cars could.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A front wheel drive engine/gearbox layout generally had a directly driven layshaft, whereas conventional RWD layouts had an intermediary gear to drive the layshaft. It's easier to add gears on the former and maintain efficiency.

On some RWD cars the 5th gear was an extension to the 4 gear variety, with an casing extension. It also made dismantling more tricky.

Reply to
Fredxx

Interesting that my 1923 book has the two shaft input and output as the primary diagram, and the top-gear-straight-through as a secondary variant.

But then I've never owned a car with a propshaft. I know nothing.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

He didn't attribute it to you. It's quite clear from the level of indents what lines "Commander Kinsey wrote" refers to. Get a decent newsreader which colour codes them as you read and it's much easier to look at.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then instead of failing slowly it would fail unexpectedly and quite suddenly, despite the so-called SMART data saying 99% life left.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It is impossible for any sensible person to draw that conclusion from what I wrote. I just asked for clear distinctions in colour.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

And they still can't use the last 5mph of energy?

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

The legendary Sinclair C5 had regenerative braking.

Reply to
Joe

Then they should. Or some equivalent alternate coils they can use.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

It would add weight and complexity, and there's **** all energy left by the time you've gone down to 5MPH. Don't forget kinetic energy is proportional to V squared.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

So it should be easy to remove this small amount of energy. Change the coils from series to parallel or something.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin