OT: Bonfire woe

Loads of garden rubbish and wood from old sheds, been building bonfire for a couple of weeks, first bonfire at new house. Decided to aid starting with a little bit of petrol. Result: an almighty whooomf and no hair on outside of right leg. I won't be doing that again. Couple of minutes later a smouldering bunny runs out of one side and stops. Mortally wounded, no tools around, only humane thing to do is through it back into the heart of the flames. A few seconds later a second smouldering bunny runs out and stops. This time I ran to the shed to get a shovel to dispatch it before returning it to the flames. Result: not quite the happy experience expected and a decidely upset SWMBO. Lessons learned (or re-learned): don't use petrol, don't spend weeks building a bonfire because something will move in.

Reply to
nomail

One night and someone will usually move in.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thank your lucky stars it wasnt an illegal immigrant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have also probably incinerated several Hedgehogs as well. Its been publicised on the media enough recently that you should always leave a base free on your bonfire so you can see what is in it before you light it. Also of course, many councils now ban bonfires as it upsets the Yar Ninbies, who think nothing of lighting smelly Barbies at the drop of a port chop. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well I happily burn garden rubbish to obtain wood ash for the vegetables, so there,

Reply to
fred

hot, cross bunnies......

Reply to
jimbo

Or even worse, a hedgehog trying to hide from a badger.

Reply to
Andrew

Didn't the Romans introduce the rabbit?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yergh, don't remind me. When we lived in St Albans when ever it was vaugely warm and sunny ever other house would have a BBQ going, horrible stench. The smell from the foot and mouth pyres in 2001 was pleasant by comparision.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, but quite legally.

Reply to