OT: Bizarre mobile phone problem

From the specification ?

What a curious assertion. I can assure you I have experienced enough lost SMS messages to know *never* to rely on them for anything mission critical. Same as email.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Hi All,

I have an update on this.... Having dealt with the usual Three support yest erday they said they will call back last night. Anyway, to be fair to them , they escalated up to the next level of support and I spoke with their eng ineer who I must say was very good. Knowledgeable and good troubleshooting skills. Anyway...

We were able to find a couple of messages that were sent but not received. He was able to check the logs their side and oddly, it seems the messages were received by Three and for some reason they thought were delivered to t he handset correctly but were not. At the moment it is looking like a prob lem at their end. He check the set-up their end and got me to enter some m agic numbers into the handset to clear all call forwarding, barring etc. fe atures. We are then giving it a day to see if the problem still exists and if we can give an example of a failed one he will escalate it to the next level for resolution.

Not sure whether it is related but both examples we found, the sender was o n O2....

So now we have these friends sending a few texts to my wife (and confirming texts to me) throughout the day to see if we can replicate the problem.

Will keep you posted...

thanks all

Reply to
leenowell

Who reported all sorts of network problems on Monday ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

people send he text messages and she doesn't get them. It does seem to be sender related as she usually gets messages from them but some for some biz arre reason never get through. We are both on Three and she has a Samsung G alaxy S5 if that helps any?

, remove some messages type stuff. I have searched around and can't see an y good forums or people experiencing the same sort of issue. So... I though t I would revert back to the usual font of all knowledge :)

JoeJoe.... your issue seems a bit different to ours as reboot etc. doesn't seem to make any difference. Also, most texts seem to be fine but it is the odd one that doesn't. One thing I learned from the support guy last night is that (at least on Three) all calls and texts are sent via 3G anyway eve n when you are connected to 4G (this is data only). They are rolling out a

4G voice/ text network which the S5 supports but it needs a software upgrad e for the phone to use it. Apparently Samsung hasn't released this yet so it is only available on Three branded S5's. If yours has this capability, I did read on a forum that there is a software problem which results in tex t issues. Wonder if EE has the same thing? Might be work forcing the phon e to use 3G only for a bit to see if this solves the issue?
Reply to
leenowell

reinforcing the message that SMS is not a reliable protocol.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I don't know, but I assume, since Apple controls the phones and the iMessage system it knows which phone numbers are associated with iphones (and which number with which phone and apple ID of course)

I assume this info then gets communicated to the handsets, though I don't know.

Reply to
Chris French

Try experience. They get through as often as emails, as in always. If they started disappearing, I'd change provider immediately.

Ditch your provider. For both SMS and email. This is the 21st century and lost emails and texts are ridiculous. They just don't happen to me. I think I lost the odd email with a FREE email provider but never with one I've paid for.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I know him because he's in the same newsgroups.

A lost text would soon get found out you fool. Someone would phone me up and say, "Where the f*ck are you? I texted you to come 2 hours early!"

Reply to
Mr Macaw

If I ever read of someone who died waiting for the ambulance they sent an SMS/email for, I'll think of you.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've set my phone inform me that the recipient has received the text. I too have never *not* received a text.

Reply to
Bod

Since I have never lost a single text, I trust it completely. Do you think I'm making it up? I HAVE NEVER LOST A TEXT. For f*ck's sake grow up you stupid little f****it.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

There must be a lot of gullible people in this group sticking with a faulty provider. In the 21st century, we do not have to put up with things going missing using electronics. Yes, physical post might get lost (although it's bloody rare), but nothing over the internet etc.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Bod, you wrote no text.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I recently turned on message delivery confirmation because several people stated they never got my message. I think all message have been delivered ok since (that I'm aware of as not all messages have needed confirmation or follow up etc) so it may have been a temporary glitch somewhere.

I sent a text last night at around 10 and got a delivery confirmation this morning at 9:30.

As you say, good job is wasn't something *urgent* but if it was I wouldn't have trusted it to a text (for all sorts of reasons). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Tried that (see above) - disabled 4G for a few days, but the problem persisted...

Reply to
JoeJoe

That was a test run ;-)

Do people normally send *texts* when requesting an ambulance?

Reply to
Bod

You're full of bollocks, mate. Or at least have no understanding of how buffers and queues work ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Has it crossed your mind, that others may have ? Although I concede given how small your mind must be, it might easily be missed.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

AFAIAA message confirmations are like email delivery/read receipts. An optional extension to the protocol, and therefore (like the original message) not guaranteed.

Reply to
Jethro_uk