OT: Bizarre mobile phone problem

Hi All,
My wife is having problems with her mobile phone where intermittently, peop le send he text messages and she doesn't get them. It does seem to be send er related as she usually gets messages from them but some for some bizarre reason never get through. We are both on Three and she has a Samsung Galax y S5 if that helps any?
We spoke with Three last night and no joy. The usual restart the phone, re move some messages type stuff. I have searched around and can't see any go od forums or people experiencing the same sort of issue. So... I thought I would revert back to the usual font of all knowledge :)
Anyone have any ideas?
thanks
Lee.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Could it be that the affected sender has multiple (e.g. mobile and home) numbers for your wife in their phone, and sometimes sends texts to the wrong number, of course DigiDot would then call you at inconvenient times and speak them out to you, unless you'd blocked SMS delivery to the home phone, then they'd be blackholed ...
On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 10:56:24 AM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

Interesting idea. I will get her to check. I think most of her friend hav e iPhones so not sure whether there is a similar potential there. With Han gouts there seems to be a distinction between Google+ type people and real SMS so... building on your thought I wonder if some of this is going on?
On 1/12/2016 7:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

A cousin recently switched to an iPhone - and since then, I have received numerous messages from her, which she had thought she was sending to her son...
On 12/01/2016 10:50, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

As text messages are a best of effort service there is no reason to expect them to get through. You should never use them for something important.
On the other hand if you make a phone call you know if its got through.

Where on earth did you get that idea? I have NEVER not received a text except the odd time someone sent it to the wrong number.
--
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

On 13/01/2016 00:38, Mr Macaw wrote:

How do you know rod? Does everyone tell you they have sent you a text? By phoning you afterwards? Try thinking about it before you post drivel.
Hi All,
I have an update on this.... Having dealt with the usual Three support yest erday they said they will call back last night. Anyway, to be fair to them , they escalated up to the next level of support and I spoke with their eng ineer who I must say was very good. Knowledgeable and good troubleshooting skills. Anyway...
We were able to find a couple of messages that were sent but not received. He was able to check the logs their side and oddly, it seems the messages were received by Three and for some reason they thought were delivered to t he handset correctly but were not. At the moment it is looking like a prob lem at their end. He check the set-up their end and got me to enter some m agic numbers into the handset to clear all call forwarding, barring etc. fe atures. We are then giving it a day to see if the problem still exists and if we can give an example of a failed one he will escalate it to the next level for resolution.
Not sure whether it is related but both examples we found, the sender was o n O2....
So now we have these friends sending a few texts to my wife (and confirming texts to me) throughout the day to see if we can replicate the problem.
Will keep you posted...
thanks all
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 03:35:56 -0800, leenowell wrote:

Who reported all sorts of network problems on Monday ...
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 03:35:56 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I've had troubles with O2 to Orange/T-Mobile/EveryThingEveryWhere/EE or what ever they call themselves this week. Long delays or never being delivered.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 13/01/2016 14:35, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Tuesday evening the daughter couldn't phone my landline from EE. She could dial my mobile and I could dial my landline.

I know him because he's in the same newsgroups.

A lost text would soon get found out you fool. Someone would phone me up and say, "Where the fuck are you? I texted you to come 2 hours early!"
--
Seven wheelchair athletes have been banned from the Paralympics after they tested positive for WD40.

On 13/01/2016 12:23, Mr Macaw wrote:

I've set my phone inform me that the recipient has received the text. I too have never *not* received a text.
--
Bod

There must be a lot of gullible people in this group sticking with a faulty provider. In the 21st century, we do not have to put up with things going missing using electronics. Yes, physical post might get lost (although it's bloody rare), but nothing over the internet etc.
--
Women are not served here. You have to bring your own.

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:33:13 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

You're full of bollocks, mate. Or at least have no understanding of how buffers and queues work ...

There is no reason to discard anything in the queue. If you do, it's broken. I have in fact been told by my ISP something along the lines of, "Sorry about the emails not working, needless to say all emails will be held in a queue and delivered when we get the server up and running, no emails will be lost".
Why on earth would you think it better to discard queued texts than just deliver them all a bit late when your server is overloaded?
--
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

On 13/01/2016 13:53, Mr Macaw wrote: 8<

What do you think happens to and SMS/email when it arrives on a server just before it fails due to a hardware fault? Do you think there is some magic that recovers that message from the wreck?
That's just one example of how emails/sms get lost. For others look up SS7 signalling and look at the control channel protocols where you will find SMS signalling.

If you have no redundancy, your system is shit. Anyway that probably happens to 1 in several million texts. If it's more than that, your server needs modernising. And if the server doesn't send an ACK back, whatever sent it to it should retry or send a failed message back. Jesus Christ it's not rocket surgery.
--
How to start a fight, number 46:
Wait till a bunch of girls walk past a phone box.

They don't need redundancy, the service is best effort not guaranteed.

You claim it never happens.

There is no ack in the sms protocol for it to send back. Its like UDP, we will try and deliver it but if we don't then hard luck.

Why do you accept shit excuses? If it loses messages, it's broken. Just because it was made poorly to begin with doesn't mean it hasn't been fixed since.

1 in several million is never to anyone without OCD. I'll never get hit by lightning for example.
Hint: do you send several million texts in your life?

Then it's broken. But funnily enough, that never seems to happen.
Oh and guess what, you get tell your phone to tell you if it worked or not, so clearly there IS an ACK.
--
A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.