OT Big increase in solar electricity anticipated

Or use electric cars on charge. You can easily rig something up for lighting only, now we have LEDs. Not a big battery needed there. Car battery sized one but deep discharge. Dunno how long it would last.

Reply to
harryagain

Only because you're not clever.

Reply to
harryagain

Except that TNPs cost is an order of magnitude out. 1000Ahr at 48V of lead acid batteries can be had for about £3,000 and the inverter/charger costs about the same. That would provide 24kWhr of usable storage, which is enough for most households.

Lithium storage would probably be 3-4 times the cost. Presumably economies of scale would drop the cost considerably if it becomes common.

Of course, if you actually want to fill a garage with batteries then it probably would cost £100k, but that's not needed for smale scale distributed storage.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Drivel. You can buy a system now that covers lighting and TV for most homes for about ?2K. Will come down.

Reply to
harryagain

True. It would have to cheaper (than lithium) even if it was bulkier/heavier. And long lasting. The secret lies in energy efficient equipment and the smart grid so reducing battery size needed.

Reply to
harryagain

All mining operations are toxic. But the stuff can be recycled. Unlike nuclear waste. In which we create stuff that doesn't naturally exist. (Any more) And which we can't deal with.

The elephant in the room is population. Which is why we need to contol immigration. Look after our part of the world at least.

Reply to
harryagain

What is this supposed to mean? That people who work in mines die? Better have them work in uranium mines then, where you get much more energy from the stuff you get out.

And which is being dealt with. More lies from harry.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'd have thought you want 'decent' batteries if you're relying on it for your mains supply (assuming the grid was allowed to become less reliable if everyone had their own battery bank)

A string of twelve of these 4V 1100Ah would set you back £9500 every few years.

Is it really only 50% charge to inverter efficiency?

That'd tide me over for a week ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Park an electric car in the garage and use that as the battery bank.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The only way that Toyota get a 10 yr battery life in cars,is to limit the discharge to 10% of capacity. So TNP appears to be correct based on real world experience.

Reply to
Capitol

For lawn mowers, about 2 years IME.

Reply to
Capitol

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

So the price of batteries which are rather metal dependent will fall?.

By how much Oh wise one?...

Reply to
tony sayer

What happens if you're using teh car or it's at work parked, or your job is a cabbie or delivery driver ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well you wouldn't choose that as a solution then. Actually i didn't really intend it as a serious suggestion any more than having domestic battery banks can be regarded as a serious contender for economical power storage at the moment anyway.

And not many delivery men apart from milkmen will be using purely electric vehicles yet, a few cabbies are using hybrids but are any using purely electric? Even if such a vehicle is available as a cab could a cabbie earn enough between charges to make a living.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

High level Nuclear waste is highly recyclable - people don't yet since its cheaper not to. Most single pass uranium fission reactors leave 97%+ of the fuel unused in their "waste"

(low level waste just treat much as you would coal ash)

Reply to
John Rumm

Many folks with electric cars already spend most of the time worrying they won't have enough range as it is, without also using it to boil a kettle.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not if they have to get their solar house through te entire almost sunless winter.

24kwhr will barely keep you going overnight.

It is needed for ironing out all the bumps in renewable generation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think most of the electric floats have gone from round here, they seem to use Bedford Rascals now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ours uses a Transit but out and back from the depot to the village is a round trip of at least 20 miles so would be a bit slow even if the float had the range. Only seen him once in over two years. order on line and sometimes hear the float pull up about 2.30 -3am if sleeping lightly.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I always used to wonder why lithium was relatively rare. These days it is so easy to find out:

Turns out it seems to arise from spallation of heavier elements by cosmic rays.

Not that I am worried about the end of mobile phones because of lack of lithium or rare earth metals. We havn't started mining old phones yet.

Reply to
newshound