OT: Been scammed.

Just to set the record straight, there was no scam or attempted scam on my part.

The concept of a 'genuine loss' is an interesting one. How can anyone prove a negative? If I as the householder say that it was not delivered and corroboration lies with the tracking data, what more evidence is needed - CCTV running 24/7 with night vision?

The amount was small but is seems unlikely that they have a different procedure depending on the sum involved. If they do, they should at least be honest and say that purchases below £x.xx are not covered.

Reply to
Scott

I ordered some shirts from a company advertising on Facebook. When they arrived, probably drop shipped, one was OK, the other was certainly not the 100% cotton advertised.

The vendor was, supposedly in the US, the credit card payment went to an outfit in Ottawa. Neither responded to any contact attempts.

I claimed chargeback for one shirt, not as described, which was successful, including the currency charges.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's all self certified anyway

no-one checks unless a consumer complains

By which time the seller will have moved on

Reply to
tim...

Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :

It's the principle at stake.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I have long suspected that ebay/paypal refund resolution depend on whether the seller has money in his paypal account that they can help themselves to. If I am selling anything on ebay I withdraw the funds immediately. I understand in the U.S.A. they can actual tap into your bank account.The one time I got conned over a used camera I followed their recommended method of returning the item via signed for delivery only to be told this did not meet their requirements and case closed.ISTR the Observer challenged them on this and got it changed. In the end I lost the camera,the payment and the return postage. I suspect the camera was stolen, The geniuses had wiped the internal memory but I was easily able to recover it. Most of the images were of two men in Las Vegas except the last one shown the culprits sitting around a table presumably playing with the camera.

Reply to
fred

Got an email from the seller offering a 30% refund. Told them they could either supply the complete saw as advertised, or a full refund. If they want the blade back, they'll have to supply a return postage label too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Was that PayPal or Visa?

Reply to
Scott

Visa.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

And just had another email from them upping it to 60%. And stating they will do a refund if I send it back at my expense.

Odd reaction from a scammer. Who normally just cuts and runs. Paypal are still investigating my claim. So I'll gamble they'll find in my favour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You agree to the 30/60% refund and the case is closed except that the refund doesn't appear.

Other scams usually involve providing a tracking number soon after purchase but weeks later the tracking number is either not recognised or a courier has yet to receive any package.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks. I successfully closed my PayPal account yesterday.

Reply to
Scott

Sounds likely. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Got an email from Paypal asking if I'd accept the partial refund. My answer is no. If I'd wanted this spare blade I could have bought it from a UK seller for £3 including postage. So even with 60% rebate, still well overpriced. Before postage costs are even considered. But then a spare blade is of no use to me anyway without the saw it fits.

Paypal seem not to allow you to put this sort of thing to them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Is there a resolution service on Farcebook?

Reply to
Jimk