Oven door closer

So. The heat had been leaking like a hot thing out of the gap behind the oven door and we changed the rubber door seal which has helped somewhat but has not cured the problem.

The door does not press as firmly against the oven as I would have expected it to do. The oven is an Orbis which a)you almost certainly have never heard of because b) it is a brand local to here and I am not in the UK right now. But it has the usual bottom-mounted hinges which flip over to release the door for removal.

Does this type of generic oven door have any sort of tension-adjust mechanism anywhere? If so, what should I dismantle to get to it?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Jimk pretended :

If this is a gas oven, then most/all have a gap in the seal at the top edge,to allow exhaust air flow. Fresh air enters at the bottom rear by the burner and exits at the top / front by the door.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

If it's an old-ish oven the springs may have lost their tension. New hinges is the answer, not usually too expensive.

Reply to
newshound

Hm. Posted earlier that I would wonder if the hinge springs had lost their tension, but it's not showing here (plusnet/thunderbird).

Not normally any adjustment IME. New hinges vary in price according to oven, but not usually silly money.

Reply to
newshound

Ours has a sort-of staple-shaped sealing strip. The sides go down about three-quarters of the way and the top stretches across the top. There are four little holes in the doorframe which line up with four little metal hooks on the strip. First I had to stretch the seal across the top of the doorframe then stretch each side down and hook it into place.

The droop at the top was the reason the seal needed to be replaced: too much heat was getting out of the top of the oven and the controls on the front panel were breaking down because of it. The new seal stretches tight across the top - and if the door closed firmly would do the job it is supposed to.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Not that old really - about four years, I think. It is not terribly well made but it is locally made which means spares are abundant and cheap. There is an argument to be made for buying better (ie foreign made) in the first place but that argument has to compete with the higher original price, plus 50% import tax plus non availability of parts if anything ever does go wrong.

Spare hinges are available: if other tweaks do not work, that is the way we will have to go.

Thanks.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I shall have a search for that - thanks!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Dunno, but, how did you get on attaching the new door seal to (presumably) the oven body? Mine droops at the top & I can't see how it's supposed to be secured....

Reply to
Jimk

YouTube vid - similar issue - a fella removed door, packed out the *top* fixing of each hinge from the body with bits of cut nail (!) then refitted. The hinges were now in effect slanted backwards by a few mm...

Reply to
Jimk

Jimk