Door closer noise

Just fitted a concealed door closer to my newly-created internal kitchen. Used Screwfix quote 12108, and fitting was very easy.

Problem is: it makes a hell of a noise when door closes/opens. The door is a

30 min fire door (pretty heavy one).

Tried to re-adjust height (noticed that it was < 1 milimiter out of line - now perfectly aligned), but it didn't make any difference. Also tried WD40.

Any idea what can cure this?

Reply to
JoeJoe

You might first think this is a joke, but it isn't. Smear the whole thing in vegetable oil. All the bits that move and the bits which sit against the bits that move. Yes. I'm serious.

Reply to
BigWallop

When we fitted one it wasn't the noise of the gear which was a problem but the noise of the door shutting - the thing was too powerful. It had to come off and I put up with having to shut the door myself.

Ah well, I neded the exercise :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My door closer makes a loud "click" as the nightlatch engages the keeper.

Mary, you are aware that on some door closers you can alter the speed of travel over the last few inches before closing? There are two controls on the door closer to alter the swing speed and the latch speed.

Mungo

Reply to
mungoh

Best way to help reduce the noise is those insert rubber strips in the door frame to prevent smoke etc getting through. But they're not an easy fit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not on the one we had. It was a chain and some kind of spring which wasn't visible unless you looked closely because it was inserted into the long door member (sorry, my dysphasia's come into play) at the hinge side and attached to the jamb at that side.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If it was made by "dysphasia" then it was probably a good one. :-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

You have experience?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Can't remember. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

It's more specific than general loss of memory so I think you haven't :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's more a lack of command over the language. :-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

It's forgetting words. I'm pretty articulate and have a good command of language but occasionally I can't remember a particular word I want. It happened after my brain surgery, it's not too much trouble because the only time I NEED to remember a specific word is when I'm speaking in public and I always takeSpouse with me. He knows what I want to say, a little look towards him and he does the prompt.

If you can't diy you get a man in ... :-)

And the word has just come to me - the stile.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I knew you'd get it. :-) And gees, I'm like that without surgery. :-) LOL In my case, it's a lack of command of the language, bad memory, and down right stupidity. :-) Even with prompting. LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh, it always comes eventually. And no, I didn't ask Spouse.

No doubt you have other skills.

I was innumerate even before surgery ... 1955 GCE Maths Alternative exam: Arithmetic Only - Failed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But that's weird Mrs F. Everyone "counts" on you now. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh, many people have done for a long time.

I just don't count on them :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Drill the hole longer. The bottom of the closer is touching the door timber and the noise is reverberating thro the door (at least it was in my case)

Reply to
Barryman

Before answering a 16 year old post from a broken website, please read and digest this:

Fredxx