OT: Bamboo scaffolding collapsed in Hong Kong.

Interesting picture of this in the Telegraph online.

Bamboo not quite as flexible as believed ??.

The idea of bamboo javelin spears being flung around is an interesting thought.

Reply to
Andrew

On business trips to the Asian sub-continent I was amazed to see the Bamboo scaffolding. It was used to build very high buildings, none of the safety stuff we take for granted, the workers didn't even have shoes in many cases, let alone boots.

From one hotel, I recall seeing the tops of buildings which looked finished except where there were main vertical pillars, reinforced metal stuck out. This was left so more floors could be added.

Hopefully the foundations had been designed for growth.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I find it fascinating that despite their total lack of health and safety laws, and the fact that they work like demons, most of these far-East countries are dirt-poor. If *we* had a work ethic like that and no red tape to worry about, we'd be the workshop of the world once again. The key differences might be something as simple as the rule of law, minimal levels of corruption and enforceable contracts. Hope they never adopt those few measures or they'll piss all over us.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

From the video on C4 news, the traditional scaffolding looked quite flexible, the problem seemed to have been caused by wrapping it in modern plastic sheeting which acted as a sail in the typhoon ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

India, as an example, has huge number of Millionaires, and a space program. Oh, and we send them overseas aid......

Reply to
Brian Reay

That last is overstated now with China alone.

If *we* had a work ethic like that and no red

Those days are long gone now. Britain was the workshop of the world at one time because it invented the industrial revolution, but once that spread to the rest of the first world initially, it was never going to be the workshop of the world again. The world had moved on, as it always does.

The

No, the key difference is that once something like the industrial revolution spreads to the rest of the world, where it was invented becomes irrelevant. Same with the computer revolution too.

Hope they never adopt

They already do with manufacturing now.

Reply to
Josh Nack

and over a billion people with next to nothing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher