OT: Any heater recommendations?

I've no central heating and am looking for any recommendations for portable heating. No rooms are massive, but they're all double height ceilings (or close enough for jazz) - and we're talking single glazed sash windows.

I've got a blow heater, but that's fairly heavy on electricity use and visitors find its heating power...well..."meh" to say the least - so, which is best; radiant? Convection? Are oil filled jobbers the bee's knees or does that accolade go to halogen? I'm after economy and efficacy.

Oh and Calor gas isn't an option.

Reply to
Lino expert

Quick fix, or long term fix?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Heat pumps aka air con would probably be the cheapest to run.

Reply to
dennis

Go for broke and hit me with both if you've got 'em...

Reply to
Lino expert

A heater is a heater is a heater, at a basic level, as you need x kW of heat output to warm a room. With double height ceilings some form of higher level blow heater - or even a ceiling fan - would be useful to capture some of the hot air up by the ceiling and send it down to occupant level.

Some radiant heat can make a room feel cosier than the actual temperature would suggest, so a convector/oil filled radiator for general heat and a small radiant heater would probably be a reasonable balance.

However insulation should be your first priority; cling-film style double glazing costs very little and is surprisingly effective for the coldest few months of the year. If you've got draughts under the doors get a 'sausage' or 'snake'

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are you really an expert on Lino?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or better, a Dog, They put out about 100 watts of heat, are portable, can be used as a blanket of sorts, a bed warmer, or a draught excluder,

Doesn't consume that much fuel, only problem is it's got an unvented flue, and the emissions can be a bit smelly at times, depends on the type of fuel used to the amount of noxious gasses it produces tho.

Reply to
gazz

The condensate tube needs constantly repositioning outside as well and injudicious use of the word "walk" can induce system overload. They have to be taken to a servicing centre for maintenance and repair and can be noisy in operation. If one isn't enough, Drivel would recommend two, although, without adequate controls, they may interfere with each other. They are not advised for households with a pet cat. They come in a bewildering array of sizes and colours. They can give long and loyal service and householders grow fond of them. Scrapping them and replacing when they are a bit worn is often not done when it should be. Should only be installed by a CORGI.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Heh, no, it's a long and boring story.

Just put it down to once playing on the linoleum - had to give it up though with the onset of a rare and debilitating condition leaving me unable to wield a plectrum.

Reply to
Lino expert

Combine this with previous advice and I assume it would have to be a sausage dog?

Reply to
Lino expert

I didn't know a linoleum was a stringed instrument?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer listening to linoleum recordings on the original vinyl.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

It's a little-known fact. The original ones were hand-turned, five-stringed beasties lovely they were, lovely - then it all went down hill in the industrial revolution when they tried to make 'em out of metal and attach a kazoo. It was the vinyl straw.

Reply to
Lino expert

Quick hack and hang the running costs

because I think the retro-look is cool and it's cheap)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They're just not the same when they've been waxed are they?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

" 3 phase wiring required. "

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You're joking, ours gets through about £40 per month, at 100 watts that's not very economical.

Reply to
R D S

Bloody Hell! That's almost half the price I paid for something similar at Costco though ours is a little more powerful and looks like it might have a better fan.

I agree though and they do a good job of heating a room without constantly drawing power.

Reply to
R D S

Could that be a mistake?

Reply to
R D S

I think so. 2500W at 230V is 11A - which should be OK on a single phase 13A fuse. I can't see any other reason to need three phase (unlike a motor, say).

Reply to
Martin Bonner