Garage Heater Recommendations?

Greetings -

I live in the upper MidWest (cold winters) and want to add a heater to my garage -- to make it into a workshop, etc...

However -- I'm not sure which type to buy... my garage is approximately 1000 Sq Ft --

So I'm looking for what brand would be most reliable -- I'm leaning heavily towards the hanging gas type... vented to the outside.

Thanks,

- Kirk

Reply to
Kirk

Yep, check out the Modine Hot Dawg

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reznor

Reply to
<kjpro

A garage has enough leaks through the door that an unvented unit would be the most efficient

Reply to
ransley

You might consider one or more of these types in a small area. They work great.

Steve Barker LT

What do you intend to do in the shop area? Exposed gas not a good idea with flammables such as wood finishes, automotive solvents, etc., so if that&#39;s the idea the protected flame would be wise.

Somebody mentioned unvented counting on air leaks -- not a good idea either..

--

Reply to
dpb

Often the garage is tight and the ventless will leave moisture everywhere!

Reply to
<kjpro

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now, the rest of the story."

How well is your garage insulated? How tight are the doors? Do you have air leaks or infiltration? How warm do you want it to be? What are you going to be working on? Anything that might go boom with an open ignition source? Will opening the garage door or one of the others dump all the warm air it has taken an hour to build up? Is the garage bottom seal in good shape? Is the garage door itself insulated? (easily fixed with cheap styrofoam sheets) How much do you want to spend? Is the gas readily available and close, and can you get the proper permits to do this modification? Gas is getting touchy lately re: safety and permits. How long do you want to take for this project? Is there adequate electrical circuits to handle a large (that&#39;s what it&#39;s going to take for 1,000sf) heater?

My experiences are that a couple of plug in 110 heaters make it a lot better than a totally cold garage. But they only work to a point, and it doesn&#39;t warm in there where you&#39;re working in 75 degree comfort. Anything is better than what you got, and you can just plug in electric heater/s. If you look at the small details in the first paragraph, you&#39;ll get them to work the best they are going to.

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I forgot to add that using gas as a heat source will require air flow to avoid CO buildup. Put in a CO detector, and ONLY buy the one that has the digital readout. If it only beeps at the 500 threshold (a number I just picked out of thin air) you&#39;ll have a KING SIZED headache from working at

490 all day and not knowing you&#39;re reaching critical levels because the thing does not beep until 500.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Depends on climate. A 1200 watt plug in electric gives off 5100 Btu of heat. Nice to take the chill off some days, but when it gets down below 25 degrees, my propane heater that gives off 30,000 Btu does not make it comfortable in my detached garage.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski