Choice of garage heater

I'm in the market for getting a decent heater for my garage, which isn't particularly well insulated - that's a separate issue. For now I just want to know which type of heater I should be considering to keep me warm if I'm doing some odd jobs in the garage.

TLC Direct sell several different types of heater as follows.

Ceramic. 2Kw and 3Kw models available.

Fan heater. 3Kw model.

Quartz. 1500w and 3Kw.

I'm tempted by the fan heater (model BN 707) as it would give instant heat flow via an airstream - and happens to be rather cheaper than ceramic or quartz.

What I'm keen to avoid is a source of heat which could potentially sear anything which was too close - I know a 3Kw fan heater isn't going to be kind to anything which gets in its way, but bear in mind that garages tend to have various chemicals and other combustible materials.

Probably a silly question, but you know me ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

We use an old (30+ years etc.) 230 volt 3.5 kilowatt blower heater in our approx. 12 x 17 foot garage, attached but not insulated, garage. The heater is permanently screwed to wall about 5 feet up to get it off the floor and out of the way . It hinges up and down to some extent on its mounting but not sideways. It is 'adequate' when it is not too cold. We have a second, identical one, normally mounted on the the ceiling of our basement workshop, which we can plug in and stand on the floor directed towards the work area. Neither heater glows red or seems in any way to get hot enough to cause combustion. The heaters are equipped with an 'overheat' switch which is a bit remarkable for such old units. We use them with care of course; in the event of say the most volatile, a petrol/gasoline, spill the garage door is immediately opened for ventilation and personal safety. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Invest in an infrared heater, much more efficient and safer..

Reply to
biscuit

Personally, I prefer extending the central heating. Surplus used radiators are in plentiful supply. Doesn't make the place wonderfully warm, but removes the chill. Roof and wall insulation can be as little as 1" of glassfibre etc below a retaining liner. A small fan heater then works wonders given a couple of hours start. If you have enough space to actually get the car in as well, then the benefits on a cold winter morning can really be enjoyed. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol