OT: Agent killfile problem

Looking for some expertise: I am using Agent as my newsgroup reader (v8.00 / 32.1272). I have put this c**t 'MildredRof' into the killfile several times and posts keep turning up. I just used the default which should recognise the author name. Am I missing something? Wildcards maybe?

Reply to
Scott

It's a while since I used Agent - I'm using Thunderbird now - but shouldn't it be possible for you to killfile on @diybanter.com?

Yes, there will be collateral damage - you'll lose all the other @diybanter.com posts but honestly: will you miss them?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

He's probably nymshifting every few hours.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The spammer called MildredRof uses different email addresses as the sender therefore bypassing simple filters.

Reply to
Mark

To get it to work just delete the (fake) email address from the filter when you create it. Therefore the filter expression will be like this: Author: MildredRof not Author: MildredRof

Reply to
Mark

Are you just using the "MildredRof" bit of his address as the characters after that may be changing per post. My kill file is just looking for "MildredRof" and nothing else.

Reply to
alan_m

The Agent default didn't work for me, but this did

Author: {MildredRof}

Reply to
The Other Mike

Bizaarrely, it seems to be dropping off the list

I''m not quite sure I am following this. Can you just kill-file 'MildredRof' or does it require any wildcards to block 'MildredRofsomething'?

Reply to
Scott

PS Looking again, the expression is just 'Author: MildredRof'.

Reply to
Scott

Will try that. It tried to block you but I avoided this :-)

Reply to
Scott

Regular expressions perhaps? I don't know if it supports them, but since I do not understand most of them either, its academic! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I already do this. However, might I also say that many off topic posts are from people who also post on topic and its no real problem to leave them and just pass over them, most are just text after all, hardly going to take up loads of disc space. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But is a waste of time. Also AFAIK this poster has never posted anything on topic.

Reply to
Mark

That's because they nym shift slightly with every post. I found just filtering on messages with from "containing" the front end was adequate. Not sure if Agent can do similar?

Reply to
John Rumm

There is a long running bug in Agent which deletes kill filters immediately if the default "expire this filter after" is left selected. Try un checking this and see if it helps.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Will do. Could this have anything to do with another program deleting cookies?

Reply to
Scott

Don't know about other newsreaders but in Thunderbird you can "create filter from message" which allows you to set "where from is" but you can change this 'is' to 'contains' and just put MildreRof .

Warning site(not image) may be NSFW if you do not have an adblocker (lots of Russian ladies after your bod)

Reply to
soup

There was/is a problem in Forte Agent:

"Filter expiration dates in that version were stored as 13-bit counts of days from Jan 1 1995. That format will overflow June 6 2017, which would account for problems creating 365-day filters after June 5 2016."

ISTR I applied a patch manually, using a hex editor...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

BTW: Who is Agent Killfile and what's he done that's so special?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Can I do this, or is it beyond the abilities of a novice?

Reply to
Scott