dummy needs help again...........lol
my 2 yr old son has a small swimming pool that i let him play in while i
work in the garden. it is 8x5 and only about 4 inches deep. was
is there anything i can add to the water (besides chlorox) to keep the
mildew and algae from building up in it? i need something that will be
gentle to his skin. currently, i am draining the pool and cleaning it,
then filling it back up again the next time i need to work in the
garden. with the drought, i need to cut it back on water use. does
anyone have any suggestions on what i can use to let the water last a
few days before i need to drain and clean again?
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:45:36 -0400, rachael simpson
You have a problem. Algae grows as a result of heat, sunlight and
nutrients. Good luck keeping it out. It is tough and persistent.
You can use algaecides, but I know you wouldn't and I wouldn't either.
Shocking the pool with high levels of chlorine, eg Shock&Swim is
effective, but you need to remove the dead algae thru filtration. And
filtration is not available on your wading pool. Shock and Swim is
not what you want on his skin, if you don't want to use chlorox either.
Covering your pool when not in use to prevent sunlight can help.
Can you run the water to the horse tank after he swims, recycle it that
way? Horses shouldnn't mind a little boy pee!;-)
Are you watering your garden? Use the pool water to water your plants
and refill for him each time, then after use, water the garden. You're
not talking about major amounts of water in this size pool and depth.
If you are using well water, how high is your nitrate level? Nitrates
encourage and feed algae.
Or, let him enjoy with algae. I remember swimming in farm ponds and
horse tanks when a kid and a little algae was ok. Good hose off after!
Citric Acid? Hmmmm. Cyanuric acid is what is used to maintain and
slow chlorine degradation in the baggie pool things we have.
Once it is at proper levels, it remains all season. I asssume, being
no chemist, that citric acid would be similiar, and safer?
Those are pretty harmless. Water attracts rats which are more likely
disease vectors. I'd be more wary about Weils Disease/leptospirosis,
which is spread to humans via rat pee in water .
Our toddlers enjoyed a baby-bath of water to play in/with in the
garden, that's a small enough water volume to just fill with fresh
every time he's going to play, and empty after.
Incidentally after an exceptionally mild winter I'm seeing more rats
than usual here, even in the garden in broad daylight. So far we've
caught just one in the trap.
no sign of rats around here, got plenty of possum though! lol
what i forgot to mention in the original post is that the pool is
inflatable. in order to remove every trace of the water, i have to
deflate and then re-inflate after it's dry. while i know that some
algae won't really hurt him, it looks really ugly in the pool like that.
besides, if algae is present, i can't help but wonder what other
bacteria might be present...............
while wyatt's pool doesn't hold a lot of water, it does hold more than i
like to replenish every day. we used the old water from today's play
to water the garden with. made a little game out of it with wyatt.
(who could get the most water to the garden the quickest.) might keep
some folks around here had told me to add a bit of bleach to his pool.
I'm sure you of all people, janet, can understand why i don't want to
add chlorox bleach to his play water..........
ps: excuse typing skills again.......holding baby
Try using a chlorine alternative called Baquacil. It's sold at most pool
and spa stores. No irritation or odor. Worked great in our swimming pool
Bioguard makes a similar product called "SoftSwim," which is also a chlorine
Here's a link for the Bioguard products:
Hope this helps.
Some of us filter it out after it has done it's duty.
Even below sensory threshold, which is not always true in the case of
drinking water, I don't drink it. There are some theories and articles
floating about that claim dermal absorption of chlorine is a not good
thing, even at low levels.
Thus having said this, hypochlorites are good disinfectants and degrade
rapidly and are good to keep on hand, both in liquid (sodium) and
granular (calcium) form in case of emergencies.
Don't you be startin' in on me Billy Rose!
It's hot out and I just spent the better part of the day at a political
thing that that was billed as and masqueraded as an airshow that the
children and grandson talked me into attending, against my better
judgement, which, by the way, my judgement proved to be correct. I
knew we were screwed when the traffic directors and such were all
dressed in Sam Graves for Congress tees. The airshow part of it was
only slightly better than the tinhorn us rep, Sam Graves, droning in
the background, all puffed up and wrapped up in r,w,&b. Didn't even
have a beer tent. What kind of a politician worth his salt doesn't
offer beer to us poor pig-ignorant backwoods hicks, eh? Fortunately
"the airshow" turned out to be "free", only a "donation"
requested...for what? We declined and only offered a fart in his
Grandson enjoyed the helicopters, but he quickly became hot and bored
and asked to leave, which we did.....along with about half the crowd.
Musta been a gigazillion dollars worth of private planes that flew in
yesterday for the serious part of the "show".....you know, the deals.
Even a coupla them cessna jets that the rich folk gets chauffered
around in. They all started bugging out after about an hour.
Gotta admit though, seeing a Blackhawk and a Chinook land fifty yards
from your pickup tailgate, upon which we hillbillies perched, was kinda
cool, until you started thinking of the death that these machines
represent. Even more death in the skies followed with four A10
Farthogs in the distance and a Stealth Bomber.....serious killing
machines, eh? Plus these military helicopters stank on the
Anyhows, I digress.......I'm hot. And still grumpy. And my feet hurt.
And I am thirsty. Did I mention I am hot?
What is your point about charcoal?
Yes I use a Brita for daily use. However, should things get serious, I
have a Katadyn Drip on the shelf right above my head. It can turn
dirty dog's pee into potable water.
Maybe I'll go bite Sherwin later, after a bit of study and a few more
cold ones. Did I mention I am hot and grumpy?
One o' me favorites, cable dropped the re-re of it a couple years ago
.....I need the DVDs
Wahhhhhh....been there, done that. If she popped, you gotta clean it
up before Lovey-poo finds you out!! The frozen suds taste pretty good
you know. Nothing like a Stout Icey!
DO NOT....repeat....DO NOT *ever* chill one in the icemaker! That
corkscrew thingamajig that augers the ice towards the crusher hole
*will* break the bottle. Likely it will be Lovey that discovers your
Charlie....dancing to Baka Beyond......and don't start with me about
it. Even The Walrus can do the Two-Step. goo goo g'joob
I'm guessing you like the Afro Celts as well?
Moussa Sissokho, on the talking drum, is fantastic. ALl of them are
fantastic musicians and the blend of styles and sounds is.......simply
Great music in the garden, both for the plants and me.
In Peace and Music
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:53:42 -0400, rachael simpson
I can pretty much guarantee you have rats and mice in your yard. There
isn't a part of land which has no rats or mice on it. I can't believe
there is this much uproar about an inflatable pool! Drain it, wash it
out with soapy water and fill it again. I wouldn't suggest you put
any chemicals in the inflatable pool or the pool may disintegrate. I
wouldn't let my pets go into an algae pool, so a child? I don't think
so. I assure you stagnant water is loaded with anerobic bacteria and
it 's a matter of time before they can be ingested. Please, an
inflatable pool...drain it and refill it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.