OT: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc driver update for AMD SMBus sent out as windows 7 update

Hi All,

Is anyone else getting this update from Windows Update as a mandatory update ?.

Does anyone know what it does ?.

Is it a BIOS update ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

There is no KB number, but Google shows that other people are asking the same question, and some have had their PC trashed by applying it :-

I was wondering if anyone else has applied it.

Reply to
Andrew

SMBus = System Management Bus. It's a simple communication protocol for components on the motherboard. The driver is often part of the "chipset" drivers.

Reply to
Caecilius

And the mircosoft updates page shows that it has been around since 2015 but now have they decided that I 'need' it.

Andrew

It seems to be for 64 bit OS anyway, which excludes me.

Reply to
Andrew

En el artículo , Andrew escribió:

The same thing is being offered for Intel systems.

It's almost certainly related to this:

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. If you install it, you'll find there is no uninstall/rollback option.

Hide it, but watch for it coming back (Microsoft are well known for making minor changes to an update which Windows Update then unhides on the grounds that it's a "new" update. They did this with KB2952664 during the forcing- you-to-Win10-whether-you-like-it-or-not GWX fiasco.)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've not seen this at all. the only problems I've seen in both 7 and 10 is that as there is an unsupported version of office now on the machine, all the updates which flag up for that fail, as msoft have taken down the web versions suitable for download by windows update. They have also taken down the files for live mail making it impossible to re install this unless you have one of the older versions of the full package, not the stub downloader they supplied after this.

I already have an issue with Msoft on trashing older software that it thinks won't work on windows 10 without any question or alert. IE Outlook Express with the hack that allows it to run on later windows I use a lot as its easier to use and has more facilities than their lame rubbish in 10, and every time they do a major update they move it and remove all the links to its files so one has to make sure you know there is an update coming or block it and back up the whole shebang so you can restore it after the update again. Several older bits of software that work perfectly well do this, and the cynical me suggests many of these just happen to be ones Microsoft want you to buy their new versions of, even though the old one did everything you could ever want. I do get rather annoyed at this deliberate obscelecence approach to life. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well some motherboards allow the sm bus to not only tel things like temperatures and voltages in chips, but also allow parts to be read where some printers store an approximation of ink level as well. Some bioses do not have this facility. My guess is that the motherboards running amd chipsets and processors need a patch to make this work, and some peoples motherboards are incorrectly detected as amd and the patch screws the machine up somehow, maybe its part of the printer handling code, who knows. I suspect its third party as on my xp machines for years I was offered an update to a laserjet driver which duly installed and then installed again and again and, well you get the picture. the update used to think it needed it and install it, but nothing was wrong with the printer driver so I told it to stuff it.

The problem I see a lot on Windows updates recently is that they are beginning to be processor hogs when they are downloading. Its as if there is some kind of torrent program running uploading your patches back out to loads of other people as well as downloading it to you. Is this some natty way Microsoft have of reducing load on their servers by using our computers to do their work for them. If true, then this seems to be one great way for a potential hacker to infect loads of machines directly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff