OT Additional HVDC link.

So what will the losses be on such a very long cable? I hate to think. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Well I guess that if you have a surplus of wind power that you can?t sell, even with losses it becomes economic to export it.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) snipped-for-privacy@bluey> So what will the losses be on such a very long cable?

Reply to
Tim+

after the major UK grid problems last autumn, I wouldn't rely on Siemens. Oh and they are also mainly responible for the late arrival of Crossrail

Reply to
charles

Hmmm. How much of the connector counts as a UK import? On the basis that one end might as well not exist without the other, 50:50 might make sense. But financial and tax issues often defy simple (and simplistic) logic.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

The price of electricity in Denmark is very high. Whether this is still the case, I'm not sure, but a few years ago when Denmark had surplus wind power it sold it to Sweden at a knock-down price - a buyer's market. When Denmark is short of power it buys it from Sweden at a much higher price.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

HVDC transmission losses are quoted as less than 3% per 1,000 km

The Britain Demark link is approx 750km

Reply to
alan_m

It will be interesting to see what the wind farms do from mid afternoon through to next Tuesday while the current line of storms pushes though. Full moon again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

This is where you need good efficient and large storage. This has always been a problem with electricity. Its transient in nature. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

They are whatever you are prepared to pay for.

Fatter conductor - less loss. More power. More loss.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When the storm hits us, we will be exporting power. As it moves away to Denmark/Germany, we will be importing power from Denmark/Germany. That's what East West connections are about.

Reply to
harry

What we need is reliable, weather-independent electricity generation. On Thursday evening Wind was producing 5 percent of the demand, and Solar was producing zero. Renewables as a group was producing only 12 percent of demand, The French Interconnector was practically melting as it imported the max of 2GW.This situation also happened a couple of weeks ago.

With Nuclear producing the baseload of 20GW, CCGT could all but handle the rest alone, no need for expensive subsidy farms or costly battery farms.

Reply to
Spike

Hmm...we shall see!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

True. Let's invest more in nuclear. Made in China. That will never be expensive or need any subsidies. And all such things always come in on budget and on time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like the processed raw materials that the 'green energy' industries rely on and the battery subsidy-farms will need, you mean?

Reply to
Spike

Like you - and pretty well everyone else - costing such things seems to depend on where you start from. Ably demonstrated by the nuclear lobby.

I favour a variety of power generating types. Putting all your eggs in one basket was never truer.

Those who are so against renewable sources rather obviously have an agenda.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Costing such things does seem to depend on where the subsidies start from. Ably demonstrated by the Renewables lobby.

I favour putting my eggs in the 'reliable' basket.

Nuclear and CCGT will do that just fine, no need for anything else.

Those who are so for renewable sources rather obviously have an agenda.

Reply to
Spike

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> scribeth thus

Look up Rolls Royce nuclear power TNP published a bit on modular nuclear the other week seems promising:)

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes look it up. When you look into it, it's a load of bollix and will never happen.

Reply to
harry

Sunday Morning: I assume that wind is now providing 100% of our electricity needs and will continue to do so for the rest of the day? Or is it the wrong type of wind?

Reply to
alan_m