OT Additional HVDC link.

https://www.powerengineeringint.com/2019/08/27/siemens-viking-transmission-link-to-connect-great-britain-denmark/
So what will the losses be on such a very long cable? I hate to think. Brian
--
----- --
Well I guess that if you have a surplus of wind power that you can’t sell, even with losses it becomes economic to export it.

--
Please don't feed the trolls

The price of electricity in Denmark is very high. Whether this is still the case, I'm not sure, but a few years ago when Denmark had surplus wind power it sold it to Sweden at a knock-down price - a buyer's market. When Denmark is short of power it buys it from Sweden at a much higher price.
--

Chris

This is where you need good efficient and large storage. This has always been a problem with electricity. Its transient in nature. Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

What we need is reliable, weather-independent electricity generation. On Thursday evening Wind was producing 5 percent of the demand, and Solar was producing zero. Renewables as a group was producing only 12 percent of demand, The French Interconnector was practically melting as it imported the max of 2GW.This situation also happened a couple of weeks ago.
With Nuclear producing the baseload of 20GW, CCGT could all but handle the rest alone, no need for expensive subsidy farms or costly battery farms.
--
Spike

True. Let's invest more in nuclear. Made in China. That will never be expensive or need any subsidies. And all such things always come in on budget and on time.
--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Look up Rolls Royce nuclear power TNP published a bit on modular nuclear the other week seems promising:)
--
Tony Sayer

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 01:40:21 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

Yes look it up. When you look into it, it's a load of bollix and will never happen.
On 09/02/2020 07:21, harry wrote:

'Happens' in our fleet of nuclear subs, and always has thanks to Rolls-Royce
On 09/02/2020 16:49, Andrew wrote:

Pore ole harry.
--
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.”

But it remains to be seen how viable it is for fixed civil power generation. The very fundamental problem is that they require quite sophisticated supervision by very skilled staff and that isnt going to be cheap with say lots of small ones in the major towns and citys.
Tho I spose it would be feasible in theory to do that remotely tho like BHP Billiton does in NW Western Australia with by far the biggest iron ore trains in the entire world which don’t even have a driver on the train.,
Less clear with the economics of multiple factory made smaller nukes on old nuke sites as opposed to a complete standardised design of much bigger nukes.

Well we can train people..

Well the idea of factory made pre approved ones may mean we get them!
--
Tony Sayer

Yeah, but I meant that you would need rather a lot of them and the wages cost wouldn’t be cheap compared with fewer big nukes instead.

What bigger Nukes?, we've got the one of the go and thats a total disaster thus far:(

--
Tony Sayer

On 11/02/2020 14:15, tony sayer wrote:

What te speedoo rod with te small penis is saying is of course incorrect. The normal recator size in te UK is 600MW, you tend to have two per site making 1.2GW as sort or 'standard power station' The SMR is allegedly 480MW so you would have three.
One man can control three as easily as two, and in any case the O&M costs of the reactor are generally small compared with its capital costs. To put that in language that even Rodders can understand, ongoing staff costs once built are not a major overhead, and nor is te fuel. ALL the money goes on paying back the mortgage you took out to BUILD it and thats why SMRs promise to be far more cost effective: they intend to build the reactors small enough to be manufactured in quantity and shipped out by road, plonked in a fairly standard concrete shell and plumbed in to standard boilers.
Its perfectly possible to almost make them 'fuelled for life' too.
if the government smiles on nuclear power and gives them approval and underwrites the ridiculous third party insurance green panic made them legislate for, then the damn things should be able to spit out the gigawatts at around 4p a unit.
Which is if course why the marketing arm of renewable energy - the greens - are so against nuclear.
Even though in 4 months corona virus has killed more people than nucler power has, ever.
--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

We'll see...

We were discussing SMRs installed individually, not on one site.

But not when they are scattered across the country.

Yes, but the O&M costs are important with SCATTERED SMRs.

Doesn’t do a damned thing about the operational wages costs which is what was being discussed.

The alternative to lots of smaller ones scattered all over the country.

But everyone else can still do them properly, even china.

Immigrants, obviously. Or are all us old farts expected to go back to work?
--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Have you got figures on how many are in service at any one point in time, and how many down for maintenance? If it's anything like Trident...
--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *