additional insulation

My home has R12 attic insulation laid in between the roof rafters. I'd like to add another layer of pink to top it up. Which direction is the second layer supposed to run? crossways (overlapping the first layer) or the same direction as the first layer? Thanks

Steve

Reply to
yeosmyth

Cross, and that's what I should be doing, too.

Reply to
Sev

Hi Steve,

The second layer of batts should be installed perpendicular to the first; installing them at 90 degrees allows you to cover the ceiling joists and thus minimize any thermal bridging.

My attic had just two inches of fibreglass (R6). I added R13 on top of this (which brought it to the top of the ceiling joists) and an additional R40 crossways. This cut ceiling heat losses by approximately 90 per cent.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

I think the insulation manufactures state to go perpentdicular to the lower layer.

tom @

Tom The Great

Get cellulose blown in. More "R" per inch, and it's fire resistant. I just had phase one of my insulation put in today. Cellulose in the walls also. And R-49 in the ceiling. (Kansas) Here's some good info:

Steve Barker