OT Acorn Users

My partner has about ten to twenty RISCOS format 3.5" floppies with some files she wishes to recover. The files are probably in Artworks format.

Is there anyone in travelling distance of M40, South Bucks, who would be willing and able to access the discs? In the first place retrieving the files would be a huge step, but if it is possible to convert them into a current-day format - Mac or PC - that would be icing.

A modest pile of beer tokens on offer. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I thought that I had been storing my old 3.5" floppies pretty carefully but when I came to try and access some old information from them recently, I found that about 60% of the discs were no longer readable. Your partner ought to prepare herself for the possibility that the content of her discs may no longer be there.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I have Artworks 2 here. It can export in SVG and PDF format.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I, too, have Artworks2 and I might well be very close to the M40 (if not actually using it) next Thursday.

Reply to
charles

A lot of the floppy read issues are that the wrong drives were used to read them I found. If the old drives are available and working things tend to behave better. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There used to be an ancient driver on Simtel archives that can read many alien formats on a PC drive mostly for dialects of CPM.

I don't think it ever supported RiscOS though. Your best chance lies with kit of the right vintage and prayer. Discs do degrade even in ideal storage conditions (though not as fast as tape print through).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Acorn uses a different filesystem, though. Although its floppy will also read DOS format.

There are loads of RPCs still in use which have a floppy. I've got two.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just post them?

I'd happily transfer them to CD - but not while you wait, as it were.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)