OT: 75% of insects may have 'gone', but loads of mozzies in West Sussex.

You got any water butts, or puddles, ponds? Couple of drops of oil on the water surface will see off any mosquito larvae.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This seems to be a bad year for mosquitoes in West Sussex.

My house is full of them and I don't know how they are getting in.

The windows are shut when the lights are on at this time of year, but October was quite warm in West Sussex; the grass is growing like crazy (until we suddenly had some foggy nights a couple of days ago).

Someone near me must have a stagnant pond. Or maybe its the bloke who has chickens about 50 yards away.

When I was in Fiji you could buy aerosols marked 'Mortein' (if my memory is correct) which was brilliant at killing flying insects and cockroaches.

One sweeping spray of that and all the mozzies immediately started their spiral flight of doom down to the ground.

The stuff on sale in the UK does't seem to have any effect.

Reply to
Andrew

It can be that a result of badly disturbed ecosystems is 'plagues' of particular species TW

Reply to
TimW

It could even be your own guttering if it's not draining properly, or the trap in an outside drain. The nearer the source the more likely you are to be plagued. I find Raid fly and wasp killer works fine with the occasional mozzy, they also do a fly wasp and mosquito killer.

Reply to
Rob Morley

They are a bit late, If these insects had appeared when they normally do, the swifts and swallows and other birds would hav eaten a lot of them. This is what happens when the climate alters just a little bit.

I don't think just killing them is the answer As you say find out where they are hatching out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Seem to be a lot of harvest mites around here. Anyone else got itchy dogs around? Our vet says she's inundated with them.

Reply to
bert

In article , Brian Gaff writes

And then kill them!!

Reply to
bert

I believe! I believe! praise the Lord!

Reply to
Tjoepstil

I seem to have one hiding in my bedroom, it wakes up a few minutes after I turn the lights off and tries to fly up my nose, do they seek out concentrations of CO2?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Get a spider :)

(Happened to me a couple of years back - light out, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, light on, nothing. Then realise the spider in the awkward corner is eating...)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris