Have European cabinets gone out of style?

Have the European (frameless) cabinets gone out of style? Everywhere I look all I find are face frame cabinets. I'm planning on building new cabinets for my kitchen and I prefer the frameless look.

Reply to
Mac Cool

The eurocabinets spiked around here about 3 years ago. Although there are some advantages in the frameless style for the consumer, the real advantages are for the higher-volume cabinet shops. An edgebander and a 13-bit gang drill and you're flying. The hidden hinges are nice, but now there are systems in place to have hidden hinges AND the look of a more elegant face-frame cabinet. As a face-frame cabinet also has the frame protrude a little on the outside of the cabinet, joining two of those cabinets creates a bit of a hinge which allows for a much quicker and tidier installation. Personally, I like the euro cabinets when you're doing a flat panel one piece door and when you match the grains of a whole wall of doors like that, it can be spectacular. (Think book-matched rosewood) The face-frame look, IMHO, allows for a more 'furniturey' look and works better in a smaller kitchen.

BUT.... I can guarantee you one thing: somebody will disagree with my take on this.

Reply to
Robatoy

Heh...I agree that the face frame looks more furniturey. However, the frames take up an awful lot of vertical space between drawers. I rebuilt some of my drawer boxes and it basically meant that I had to use side mount slides rather than undermount because the face frames took up too much space.

And if you've only got a skinny little cabinet (9" or so) you lose a significant fraction of the opening to the frames.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I build high end homes ($800k - $1m+), and generally the kitchen cabinetry that goes in them, and I would agree with Robatoy's take on the issue that Euro style has lost steam in the last five or six years, particularly in that market.

I see some nice Euro jobs, but most high end clients opt for traditional FF cabinets ... AAMOF, it I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand time, out of the bee stung lipped mouths of the upscale woman home buyer: "There is something temporary looking about those frameless cabinets!"

... and they're right, considering the genesis and philosophy behind the Euro 35mm system design. :)

Reply to
Swingman