[OT] 3.5mm stereo to mono adapter with switch?

I'm looking for an adapter which goes from a 3.5mm stereo plug to 3.5mm mono socket similar to this:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s5/27-7921.jpg
However I want the adapter to provide a mono/stereo switch.
Ideally one solid piece including the switch. An inline adapter cable with a mono/stereo switch might be okay. I can't find anything!
This is for carrying around so ease of use is important which means anything with a box is no good.
--
cross-posted

pamela wrote:

What would you expect the adapter to do when the switch is in the stereo position?
On 12:35 19 Nov 2016, Andy Burns wrote:

I want the stereo signal to pass through the adapter as stereo.
Sometimes I want to plug stereo headphones into the mono socket of a dictation machine which means the signal connection is made only with the left channel of the stereo plug.
Sometimes I have a stereo source which I want to hear in mono on stereo headphones.
(At other times, I just want to hear a stereo source in stereo as usual.)
pamela wrote:

But it's only got a mono socket, so it can't.
On 13:05 19 Nov 2016, Andy Burns wrote:

Maybe I should write "mono output" rather than "mono socket".
As I said, the picture is not exactly what I want but similar. I have used it to show the sort of one piece inline adapter I want. The connections and the switch would be different.
A second best would be a similar one piece adapter with a 3.5mm stereo plug and a 3.5mm stereo socket but permanently wired to short the two signal leads to give dual mono output.
pamela wrote:

In which case, NT's suggestion should do the trick, insert shorting plug for mono, remove for stereo.

Not sure that's going to be easy. You can generally connect inputs together without problems. Paralleling outputs may not be.
--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

On Saturday, 19 November 2016 13:42:47 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Signal outputs: no problem. Speaker/headphone outputs: don't do it.
NT

Yep. Protection will cut in and you will get distortion. However some headphone outputs have series resistors in them
Speakers not.

No permanent harm maybe, but if and when the two output signals are significantly different you will get distortion, as each output is seeing a very low impedance at the difference signal frequency.
--

Roger Hayter

On 2016-11-19 13:48, pamela wrote:

This is simple to do, but I often build my own. Should not be too difficult to find on good shops.

This is not recommended, as you are short circuiting the output amplifiers. Better find a software solution.
--
Cheers, Carlos.

Easy enough to make a resistive combining network.
--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Quite hard to make one suitable for unspecified amplifier and headphone combinations. Especially now the audio output of consumer items intended for headphone use tends to be marginally adequate for H&S reasons.
--

Roger Hayter

You might well lose a bit of level. But should still be adequate.
--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

On 13:55 19 Nov 2016, Carlos E.R. wrote:

As a quick and dirty solution, it works well enough and without disaster whenever I tried it on what I guess would be a 100 to 200 mV output.
I only wish there was a mono/stereo switch provided in equipment but I hardly ever see one these days. On devices like a PC it cold easily be implemented in software but on the audio editor and players I have used it is never there.
On 2016-11-19 16:23, pamela wrote:

I'm an electronics engineer. It is against my ethics to recommend such a system.

It should be a button in the audio mixer.
--
Cheers, Carlos.

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 19 Nov 2016 15:23:59 GMT, pamela

Yes, the switch used to be there, but you don't mean that the adapter used to be sold, do you?

You might try sci.elecronics.repair
Months ago in computer ng's I tried to find a PC audio player which would combine L and R. I had a pair of v. good PC speakers but one is broken, and I have a friend who wants to play music from his laptop through the wall into the kitchen. He wanted only one speaker, which worked, out great, but I wanted him to get both channels. I coudln't find the software, and so far he hasn't even thought of the problem. I was over there a couple days ago and the speaker light was on, though no sound was coming out.
On 18:59 20 Nov 2016, micky wrote:

I didn't realise that was an active group. I'll bear that group in mind in future. Thanks.

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 20 Nov 2016 20:01:43 GMT, pamela

A lof ot what they talk about is way over my head, but they will deign to talk to civilians too.

On 2016-11-20 20:22, micky wrote:

You are right, it is not a short circuit, but for lack of better words...
Say that the L side tries to send 1 volt. Say the right side tries to send 2 volts. What do you get? Well, undefined, you have to calculate on each case. With resistive internal loads you might get the average voltage, but output amplifiers would not typically have a resistor in series with the load.

Because you have a voltage source trying to impose its voltage on another voltage source. If the output circuitry is weak... yes, it might be damaged.
At best, you get sound degradation. Distortion.
--
Cheers, Carlos.