Clever electrical scheme

Just replacing a bathroom light fitting. Running from it in the opposite direction to the standard 1.5sqmm T&E supplying it is a single core 1.5sqmm red cable (proper PVC outer sleeve and everything). This connects to an extractor fan, providing a live connection switched by the light switch. The light circuit is part of a 10A light circuit, eminently reasonable so far. However, the fan is also supplied with its only neutral and a permanent live connection from a fused (13A) but unswitched spur off a nearby socket circuit.

Don't ask me how I know, but this is an electric shock risk (fortunately only to parts of one hand owing to good self-training).

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It's a very bad idea. There is the possibility in the event of a fault that live can backfeed from the extractor fan if the semiconductor timer circui t fails, to the socket circuit even if the socket circuit is switched off a t source. Someone working on the wiring could easily have full 240V hand-to

-hand if only the socket live source was disconnected (MCB opened or fuse p ulled).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes one should strive to get all connections from the one place not two separate ones as in the future you may not be around to warn them. Personally I do still find having unswitch lives in ceiling roses a bit of a nonsense, but then that is probably just me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No, that's not OK.

For one, you are effectively sharing a neutral between two circuits.

And you are potentially sharing the lives if the fan electronics fails in an interesting way.

If you had to do this, using a relay as a full galvanic isolator (relay coil driven by lights, contacts on the socket spur side) would be theoretically OK - but it will still confuse the next person who looks at this.

Can you not pick up a lighting live from somewhere?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It was a bit of a rhetorical question - I didn't leave it like that!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Oh - OK :)

Reply to