OT: 1971 Satnav

<snip>

There are 15 houses here that share the same postcode (7 in our terrace) and in the same road, my mates garage seems to have it's own postcode.

I'm pretty sure he's never had 20 letters a day though, even including the junkmail!

The block of flats daughter lives in has one postcode per block.

If they sort letters in the sorting office into boxes that are by postcode (or blocks of postcodes) it makes sense they have a similar number of letters in each box.

Cheers., T i m

Reply to
T i m

The majority of postcodes were established in the 1960s and reflect the level of mail sent before fax machines or email.

Reply to
nightjar

Before fax was popular, but the machines have been with us since pre-war.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
<snip>

He's been there for nearly that long and even then didn't have 20 letters a day.

And before him I believe it was the stables for the local inn.

FWIW, he's never had that many emails or faxes either.

He still probably sees more vehicles per day (customers, visitors and parts deliveries) than he gets post. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The first facsimile machine dates from 1834 and there have been many different versions since. However, it was not until 1964 that one was invented that could send faxes over telephone lines. However, it remained a device with very limited applications until the establishment of an international standard in 1980. It was only after then that they became piece of common business equipment.

Reply to
nightjar

I could be wrong but I remember the fax from a 1920s/30s book, and it sent over phone lines. Certainly the tech to send such data over phonelines is well known to have been used in WW2. I've no idea which book it's in so can't really check.

Ah, wiki to the rescue:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr