OT: 11mph Odd site speed limit ?

Nah, just convert hex kph to decimal mph. 80kph = 50mph, 64kph = 40mph etc.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

not so easy to do in your head .....

Reply to
charles

I've forgotten my 16 times table. (I did learn it once, and 14 times - do kids learn their 12 times - if they learn tables at all nowadays - and if so, why?)

Reply to
Max Demian

Reading some of the posts does my head in.

Reply to
Richard

it is meant for visitors Workers already know.

Reply to
FMurtz

It shows that their seat belt is fastened.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Fuck me. So multiply by 8, double it, and move the decimal point. All simple steps, especially as your initial number is 11.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You can't put one up that has statutory force without a TRO, but there are plenty of speed limit signs on industrial estates etc. that use the standard format.

This is the Highways Authority reply to an enquiry about the 11mph limit:

'In a nutshell the 11mph speed restriction is there to capture people?s attention and make them think about driving safely through the site. As you will be able to appreciate safety is at the forefront of everything we do. We are constantly working with our all our operatives to make our work place as safe as possible and part of this work is to come up with new ways of making people think about safety.

The 11mph speed limit was an idea put forward by our road workers as an unusual way to capture their colleague?s attention and make them more focused on the site speed limit. This has helped create a more responsible culture when people are driving through the works; ensuring that people remain at 10mph rather than creeping above it and making the site safer as a result. This idea has been used on other Highways Agency schemes but with 9mph as the site speed limit.'

Reply to
Nightjar

Partly because I have a LHD car, but also a lifetime working with computers has made a 16 time table quite familiar: 16 32 64 128

Reply to
DJC

But that is powers of two! Although I agree it makes it easier.

I too can do powers of two up to 1048576 in my head.

Reply to
Bob Eager

All simple to do unless trying to f*ck you at the same time. YMMV.

Reply to
GB

I remember filming part of a drama on a building site. Had a half day lecture by the main contractor on site safety - and had to wear hard hats, safety shoes, hi-vis, etc.

But we shot on a Sunday when the site wasn't working, and entirely under 'our' control. With all power supplied by our own generator and electricians.

At least I won a pair of safety shoes which had to be bought new for each individual present. The hard hats and hi-vis could be re-cycled.

Of course I was a special problem being the sound man. Hard hats and pro headphones don't go together. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I could count up to 1023 using my fingers and thumbs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

When driving abroad, if you are not already familiar with km/mph equivalents, the easy way which distracts least from concentrating on driving on the wrong side of the road is to drop the zero and multiply by 6.

This gives a figure which is slightly below the correct answer but if you really want precision, just add a quarter for every 10kph.

Thus 50 x 6 = 30. Adding six quarters gives 31 1/2mph.

There is a road sign that is used a lot abroad that consists of a diamond - really a square sitting on one corner - which has a white border with yellow inside it. I'm amazed by the number of drivers I've spoken to over the years - including some who've driven extensively on the Continent - who haven't a clue what it means!

In fact, you can sakely ignore it - what IS important is to know what it means if you DON'T see it!

Hint: It's the only European road sign for which we have no use in this country.

I wonder how many here know what it means.

Reply to
Terry Casey

If that doesn't work they will introduce an 11.46 mph limit.

Reminds me of the way they have repainted the double yellow lines in London red - in some places you can see the original colour underneath - meaning, "We really mean no parking, honest!"

Reply to
Max Demian

You must independently manipulable fingers. I can only manage 255 (by using my thumbs to hold the fingers in position).

Reply to
Max Demian

But I can do the live long and prosper sign too , I can also bend each finger independantly, leaving the others mostly upright. Like most things practice helps.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Priority ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

er, aren't double-reds bus lanes ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No. They are Red Routes. Basically, "We really mean no parking, innit?"

(taxis and blue badge holders can stop, but otherwise it is *strictly* no stopping) even to let someone out.

Reply to
Bob Eager