How the disabled are ripped off

110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry outlets: £149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: £60

Flightsafe device: £30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2 shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of manufacture will be about £1.

115mm rubber tyred jockey wheel, 20mm bore: Disability shops: £18. Various other places: about £10.

Various scooter keys: Shoprider on/off switch £10. This is standard plastic body toggle switch: £1 from CPC etc. Some old types of scooter uses a standard 1/4" jack plug, shorted out internally, as a key. These are sold for £5 to £12 in disability shops. Some other keys are on standard blanks and my local cobbler with turn them out at £5 each, but if you buy from a disability shop they are likely to be £12 to £15.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Very annoying! To some extent, this is just the same as any spare parts operation - for a car, for example. There is a cost involved in stocking

*many* spare parts and only selling small numbers of each item, and that's bound to be reflected in the price. Somebody worked out that building a car from spare parts would cost several times the cost of a finished car.

I have no idea why your batteries are more expensive than for golf buggies. Are you comparing with manufacturer's specific parts for named brand buggies, or generic batteries?

Reply to
GB

That was Johnny Cash AICMFP.

Reply to
ARW

My favourite country and Johnny Cash record

Mark Carver

due to low sales. So buy elsewhere. Anything you want to buy you can pay ot t for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not comparable.

Same batteries, same make, same capacity, same everything. Different retailer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well, the parts cost home nothing in the song!

Reply to
Bob Eager

No it isn't. It's because the market is relatively captive. Many disabled and old people don't shop around. They just go back to the shop where they bought the scooter (which probably cost them twice the price the shop paid.)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Better call at the Grand Ol Opry if ever you're in the USA. You might get to like other C & W tracks like I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My Heart, Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye, My John Deere Was Breaking Your Field While Your Dear John Was Breaking My Heart, You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too, If You Don't Believe I Love You Just Ask My Wife, and so on . . .

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

But that doesn't explain why the same battery is available for a golf buggy for 40% of the price. Or the toggle switch which is widely available elsewhere at 1/10th of the price. Or the keys which cost three times as much in a disabilty shop as in a key cutting kiosk.

michael adams

michael adams

To be fair, a 50% markup in a shop is pretty normal

Reply to
Chris French

Of course. But if shop A charges £100, and shop B charges £40, something is wrong. The markup must be higher in shop A.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I expect you'll have met Dolly Parton at a library near Rother Ham?

Reply to
Graham.

No, I missed her!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

peple are free to buy elsewhere

that's their choice, they're not forced to. Overpriced goods aren't hard to find in any sector.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It happens all the time. People routinely trade cost for convenience.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Bill Wright scribbled

The rip off starts with the cost of the scooters.

Reply to
Jonno

Prices adjusted for NHS

Reply to
Phi

There are too many parasites making a good living in this country. From bankers to solicitors to retailers.

Reply to
harry

/There are too many parasites making a good living in this country. From bankers to solicitors to retailers. /Q

Tongue in cheek shurely?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK