How the disabled are ripped off

110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry outlets: £149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: £60
Flightsafe device: £30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2 shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of manufacture will be about £1.
115mm rubber tyred jockey wheel, 20mm bore: Disability shops: £18. Various other places: about £10.
Various scooter keys: Shoprider on/off switch £10. This is standard plastic body toggle switch: £1 from CPC etc. Some old types of scooter uses a standard 1/4" jack plug, shorted out internally, as a key. These are sold for £5 to £12 in disability shops. Some other keys are on standard blanks and my local cobbler with turn them out at £5 each, but if you buy from a disability shop they are likely to be £12 to £15.
Bill
On 24/09/2015 19:40, Bill Wright wrote:

Very annoying! To some extent, this is just the same as any spare parts operation - for a car, for example. There is a cost involved in stocking *many* spare parts and only selling small numbers of each item, and that's bound to be reflected in the price. Somebody worked out that building a car from spare parts would cost several times the cost of a finished car.
I have no idea why your batteries are more expensive than for golf buggies. Are you comparing with manufacturer's specific parts for named brand buggies, or generic batteries?

That was Johnny Cash AICMFP.
--
Adam

On 24/09/2015 20:04, ARW wrote:

My favourite country and Johnny Cash record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

--
Mark
Mark Carver wrote:

Better call at the Grand Ol Opry if ever you're in the USA. You might get to like other C & W tracks like I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My Heart, Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye, My John Deere Was Breaking Your Field While Your Dear John Was Breaking My Heart, You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too, If You Don't Believe I Love You Just Ask My Wife, and so on . . .
Bill

I expect you'll have met Dolly Parton at a library near Rother Ham?
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Graham. wrote:

No, I missed her!
Bill
On 24/09/2015 21:07, Bill Wright wrote:

There are some quite outrageous songs on youtube too This one from Donovan is about space travel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCpnwJQhoYY

This one by David Downing is about contentment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
72Xk3rAxU
Enjoy!
Jim
Phil L wrote:

All my exes live in Texas . . .
Bill
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 20:04:35 +0100, ARW wrote:

Well, the parts cost home nothing in the song!

nd 2

shops.

ts

ing

hat's

Johnny Cash didn't have access to Ebay.
-- Advice for office managers: If you keep the sexual harassment complaint forms in the bottom drawer, then when a woman gets one out you'll get a great view of her arse.
GB wrote:

Not comparable.

Same batteries, same make, same capacity, same everything. Different retailer.
Bill

Prices adjusted for NHS
On 24/09/2015 20:52, Bill Wright wrote:

Would you care to say why?

I don't know much about golf buggies, but you can't compare generic with manufacturer's spares. Even if they are the same product. That's because they haven't got to have the same wide inventory for generic. So, if you buy a battery for a top brand golf buggy from one of their dealers, how much does that cost? Otherwise, as you say, it's not comparable.

GB wrote:

So basically you are saying that a battery made by Exide, for instance, and bought by a golf firm for fitting in their buggies, is in some way different to the next battery off the line, which is bought by a disability outfit to fit in their products?
We are talking absolutely identical products here.
Bill

In the distant days when I had a Ford Anglia, I discovered that the starter was the identical Lucas part to that used in the Mini. But it cost significantly less as a Ford spare rather than a UniPart one. I had friends with Minis and we compared notes.
--
Please note new email address:
snipped-for-privacy@CandEhope.me.uk

In the BMC days something like a cylinder head nut for the B series engine would be priced differently at Morris, Austin, Wolseley Riley and MG dealers. And they'd tell you it was a different part...
--
*I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

VAG are still doing that to this day.
Still, they won't be around much longer. :o)
--
Today is Pungenday, the 49th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

Why are you buying the parts from a disability shop if you can get them cheaper elsewhere?
--
I've never had a problem with drugs,
I've had problems with the police. - Keith Richards
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I'm not, except where the difference is negligible.
Bill