How the disabled are ripped off

There are some quite outrageous songs on youtube too This one from Donovan is about space travel

This one by David Downing is about contentment

Enjoy!

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

I have nearly got that, except that the same key fits the boot and ignition.

It wasn't like that when I bought it, there was a different key for the boot, but it wasn't a good fit, I had to wiggle it a bit to unlock it. I dismantled the boot lock and found that stamped on the barrel was a number which when I checked was the number on the ignition key.

Why the person who sold me the car had a different key for the boot, I have no idea.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

could you give the URL as proof please. Havign just brought (2 months ago) 2 55Ah mobility scooter batts and noting the spec differnies between golf buggy battereis short term disc harge and mobility scooter batteries are NOT the exact same when I looked 3 months ago.

Yes I know things are more expensive at dedicated outlets but that's usuall y because of the relaively small scale they are and perhaps providing a ser vice.

The Kirby vacuum cleaner 'shop' near me closed down a few weeks ago.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Depends on lots of things like overheads etc.

Look at a Sainsbury local etc. You don't get the same prices or choice you get in a larger one. They generally stick to the higher profit items. Or a Starbuck's coffee compared to one from a backstreet cafe.

It's likely to be even more so with something like a 'disability shop' on the high street, who aren't going to have volume sales. They need to cover the high rates etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I didn't know that, we brought our mobility scooter battereis and paid VAT. Although to be fair that was correct as we plan to use the mobility scooter as a post delivering option, plan is to make it a student project in control and as an automated guide around the building but it seems MIT have beaten us to it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The statement was "...markup...is pretty normal". Note, *markup*.

I agree the profit may be different.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In the days of the 'FT' series of manual keys, my Cortina's (memorable) FT208 key would open and start about 50% of cars that also used FT keys

- and quite a few that didn't!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

So basically you are saying that a battery made by Exide, for instance, and bought by a golf firm for fitting in their buggies, is in some way different to the next battery off the line, which is bought by a disability outfit to fit in their products?

We are talking absolutely identical products here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Are you complaining about the "free market"?

Reply to
Adam Funk

And with Mini's a thruppeny bit fitted nicely between the fuses to power it up when stealing one.

Reply to
James H

The markup will be different according to overheads. Why do you think things are generally cheaper mail order? Even with small companies who don't have vast purchasing power? It's because they can make a decent profit on a smaller markup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the distant days when I had a Ford Anglia, I discovered that the starter was the identical Lucas part to that used in the Mini. But it cost significantly less as a Ford spare rather than a UniPart one. I had friends with Minis and we compared notes.

Reply to
charles

That Lucas fuse holder had space for two spare fuses. If they were present, one would fit between the two nicely - for those too poor to have a thruppenny bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the BMC days something like a cylinder head nut for the B series engine would be priced differently at Morris, Austin, Wolseley Riley and MG dealers. And they'd tell you it was a different part...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

VAG are still doing that to this day.

Still, they won't be around much longer. :o)

Reply to
Huge

People get steamed because they choose to be. They don't take the actions r equired to find stuff cheaper elsewhere. I understand it can be a task for someone with no technical skill to find out exact what battery type they ne ed, but that's how it is, and there's nothing anyone is gonig to do to chan ge it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some cars have valet parking keys - you can give the key to the ignition to the attendant, but not the key to the boot. But your setup seems the other way around.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

And in these days of the Internet, it's considerably easier to find out what to buy and where from.

Reply to
Huge

It's the same key for all the scooters in that series. You say which scooter it is and they sell you a key.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's like most tractors believe it or not.

Reply to
cl