Oscilloscope

Maybe, maybe not, although I agree it seems the most likely. I replaced the broken resistor, and reconnected everything, including connecting the two channels' shields together at the point where they join the adjacent resistors, which became separated while removing the old broken resistor. I have to get back there, but I saw on the schematic, an electrolytic cap. C62 right close to the resistors. I think, (to be checked), that these are two tiny red caps., that look more like ceramic ones; but one has a black spot on its side, which is not matched by the other. Could this be:

  1. An electrolytic;
  2. A defective electrolytic;
  3. The cause of the problem?

And also, as part of troubleshooting, would it be safe or dangerous to components to use a DMM continuity checker (ohm-meter) to check continuous electrical path from the socket to the R60 resistors? I would hate to do that, only to find that I have blown a transistor downstream. How else can I trace where there is, or is not, a signal in the chain? Once it gets past the selector switches, the signal is full stereo, as shown in Aux. and Tape and FM modes. Back to the very original Subject title, "Oscilloscope"?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Davey

It's OK! This problem was a dirty socket at the back of the unit. Like everything else, it's been in storage for 30-odd years, and after a few in-out actions of the plug, it seems to have cleaned up the connectors. Now it all works !!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Davey

And with all new caps, for at least another 30 years.

Now to make a raspberry pi based MP3 player/internet radio and shoehorn it in...

I made a whole 'music centre' for me mum and put it inside an old oak coffer (17th century) to it could all come out again. Still got the coffer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All but the two I mentioned earlier, that are too hard to get at. If I need to later, so be it, but I'm only doing them if I need to!

I think I'll take a break. I've got some (plastic) steam engine kits on the way.....

Reply to
Davey